Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Exhaust Fan Replacement

I am replacing an older exhaust fan in my bathroom. I have the old one out and the new one ready to go in. two questions regarding the installation. (of course the included instructions are less than helpfull on the minor details.) 1) the fan has only one brace that will be able to apan between joists. The other bracket is strangely on the top of the fan, well above height of the joists. Is it ok to install it with just the one bracket or shoudl I rig up something to attach the other side? Due to the existing hole it will reside jsut about in the middle between the two joists. 2.) the fan housing has a flange on it. The instruction seem to indicate that I have the flange on the interior of the ceiling, accomplished by sliding the fan up into the attic from the bathroom. But the pictures and intallation instructions all show installation from the attic. Which way is correct/easier/safest? Thanks.

Btvisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #2

One side of the fan housing is usually against a joist and gets screwed to that, the other bracket adds some stability. Not sure what you have that has another bracket in space, but the brackets are usually moveable to other locations on the housing.

If you are in a cold climate, use insulated flex duct, or insulate hard duct. This reduces condensation forming inside the pipe. ALWAYS exhaust the fan outside the attic, never in the attic space.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #3

Thanks. Yes, it is vented to the outside through the attic. No, it isn't really a cold climate so I am using flex duct.

I will look at the unit again to see what is going on with the brackets. It will be placed in the middle of the 24 inch span between joist because that is where the hole is from the old one and I did not want to do a bunch of patching of ceiling drywall. There is no way to use a bracket on the opposite side of the othe bracket due to the attached junction box and vent outlet.

Thanks. I will keep all posted.
Btvisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

The brackets are usually low on the case to allow for truss installation(2x4). The higher location may be for 2x6 or larger.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote