Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom exhaust fan

We are trading out the exhaust fan in our master with a more powerful fan that runs quieter, we would like to take the old fan (still works fine just is louder than we like) and put it in the guest bathroom. There currently is no fan (and therefore no ductwork or electrical) in the guest bathroom. The master bath only vents into the attic, is that ok to do with the additional bathroom? Who do we contact if we would like to have the work done instead of doing it ourselves, plumber, electrician, HVAC?

We really appreciate any and all help on this project. We do lots of other projects ourselves but this one seems a bit daunting.

KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Not a Noob or Boob

bathroom exhaust fan

Does the master vent into the attic or out an attic vent to through the roof?

It should never vent into the attic! It should always vent out the roof.

The electrical is rather straight forward, but should be completed by a licensed professional. The vent is easy enough to run and can be set to exhaust out a roof vent. I would recommend a roof vent that is designed for exhausts as it will have a baffle as well as the baffle in the fan.

An electrician or HVAC guy can complete the work. I would call an electrician as my first choice.

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #3

bathroom exhaust fan

Any local handi man or Diy can do this. If there's an outside wall close by and you have vinyl siding it's better to run it out the wall. The reason is less change of that damp moist air running back inside the house.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

bathroom exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRose View Post
The master bath only vents into the attic, is that ok to do with the additional bathroom?
It has already been asked but I will say again. The exhaust from the fan should not vent into the attic space. Hopefully there is some type of ductwork attached to the fan in the attic and this ductwork is vented out thru the roof or out thru a gable end of the house.

Can you look in your attic and check this??
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom exhaust fan-100_5443.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 02-13-2012 at 07:40 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Not a Noob or Boob

bathroom exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any local handi man or Diy can do this. If there's an outside wall close by and you have vinyl siding it's better to run it out the wall. The reason is less change of that damp moist air running back inside the house.
If you run it out the siding on a soffit side you will do exactly what you are trying to avoid. The soffits will draw the moisture right into the attic. It is best to roof vent an exhaust fan. You are going with the flow of ventilation (everything vents up)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

bathroom exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1975 View Post
If you run it out the siding on a soffit side you will do exactly what you are trying to avoid. The soffits will draw the moisture right into the attic. It is best to roof vent an exhaust fan. You are going with the flow of ventilation (everything vents up)
I agree with Rob. Do not run the vent line from the fan out of a soffit vent. Some of the warm moist air may enter right back into the attic space via the soffit vent especially if you have a continuous vent soffit.

Below are examples of continuous vent soffit and individual soffit vent
Attached Images

Last edited by hammerlane; 02-13-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

bathroom exhaust fan

We always install through the roof, at least 4' away from eaves (ice dam areas), and use insulated ductwork. We also only use the Masterflow type roof vent cover with an adapter (with a 4" collar) to attach the 4" insulated duct to (at the roof sheathing location).

You should leave some slack in the duct work, so moisture (condensation will not run back towards the actual ceiling vent unit).

Insulated duct example: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...ies-67897.html

Roof Vent Cover example: http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residenti...f-Louvers.aspx

Vent through the roof so that the moisture does not get pulled back up into the soffits (with soffit venting) - as others have already stated. This is an engineering point and not just an opinion.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
Rob1975 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

bathroom exhaust fan

Thanks for the info. I went and double checked, the original vent definitely just opens to the attic so I think just for safety and to be sure its done right I'll call the electrician to get everything wired up and get BOTH the new vent and the original vent run out to the roof.
KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #9

bathroom exhaust fan

[quote=KRose;852582]Thanks for the info. I went and double checked, the original vent definitely just opens to the attic [quote]
I dont know what climate you live in or how long long the moisture laden air has been exhausting into your attic but you better check the underside of your roof decking for that fact all wood material in your attic for any mold growth.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Not a Noob or Boob

bathroom exhaust fan

[quote=hammerlane;852595][quote=KRose;852582]Thanks for the info. I went and double checked, the original vent definitely just opens to the attic
Quote:
I dont know what climate you live in or how long long the moisture laden air has been exhausting into your attic but you better check the underside of your roof decking for that fact all wood material in your attic for any mold growth.
It will look black.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #11

bathroom exhaust fan

I can say from experience, NOT into the attic! Whoever installed the vent in this house I just bought evidently thought the roof-vent was enough. It wasn't, and the cold (north) side of the roof had mold where the vapor evidently was condensing the most (or not drying as fast as the other side)

Luckily the home inspector spotted it, and we got a concession to have it professionally removed.

We then vented out the side of the attic (no soffit, it was a blank wall) and haven't had a problem since.
KatHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Not a Noob or Boob

bathroom exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatHelms View Post
I can say from experience, NOT into the attic! Whoever installed the vent in this house I just bought evidently thought the roof-vent was enough. It wasn't, and the cold (north) side of the roof had mold where the vapor evidently was condensing the most (or not drying as fast as the other side)

Luckily the home inspector spotted it, and we got a concession to have it professionally removed.

We then vented out the side of the attic (no soffit, it was a blank wall) and haven't had a problem since.
Usually a roof vent is sufficient to vent a bathroom exhaust fan. If the vent was not directly under the vent it would allow condensation to form especially in the winter when the roof is cold and the air coming from the bathroom is warm and moist.

I would also make sure that your soffit vents are not blocked and that you have enough for the size of your attic. The air should be circulating in there constantly.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #13

bathroom exhaust fan

It should be exhausted to the outside separate from any other vents. Out through the soffit is satisfactory, but the roof is always better as you have more space to put in a bigger vent, correct vent, and do not interrupt what the soffit is designed for. In your picture thats the wrong vent anyways ... if its to be vented through the soffit. That's soffit ventilation.

Last edited by jasin; 02-16-2012 at 02:44 PM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #14

bathroom exhaust fan

This is more how it should be configured.

Last edited by jasin; 02-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

bathroom exhaust fan

It's legal down here to vent a bathroom exhaust fan into the attic as long as it ends near the soffit. It does not have to penetrate the roof or actually be fitted to the soffit as in the pic.