Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bathroom ceiling repair

My house was built in 1964. The stipple on the ceiling was cracking due to bathroom moisture. I am in the process of removing it, but it's a mess. I am considering beadboard on the ceiling but have a concern about how it will hold up with the moisture. Your advice is appreciated.

floridagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
PHB Construction LLC

Bathroom ceiling repair

Is there a ceiling exhaust fan? It's huge when it comes to bathroom moisture. If there isn't install one now when you got the mess going.

Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #3

Bathroom ceiling repair

There is an exhaust fan. I was told to spray the stipple with warm water, wait 15 min. and scrape it off. Well, it's not that easy. It wasn't coming off and where it did, I gouged the drywall! Then I decided to just sand the entire ceiling and repaint. But, now I have bare spots and knocked down stipple on most of the ceiling. Fortunately, it's a small bathroom. Like I said...it's a mess. That's why I was considering the beadboard. I think once it's painted it won't look too bad.
floridagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
PHB Construction LLC

Bathroom ceiling repair

Do you have drywall experience or know anyone that does. If it is a small bathroom then it would be easy to "float" or "skim-coat" the ceiling to make it smooth again. In my opinion a much better solution than bead board. When I do a bathroom or kitchen remodel I recommend that ceilings are smooth and painted with a semi-gloss for easy clean up.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Bathroom ceiling repair

The spray with warm water trick works with popcorn ceilings IF they haven't been painted. Unpainted stipple (thinned joint compound) should scrape/sand off easily. Sounds like yours has been painted. As Paulie stated, it can be skim coated to a smooth finish. A better solution might be another layer of drywall with smooth finish. And perhaps it's time to upgrade the exhaust fan to a bigger unit....
Old 11-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Bathroom ceiling repair

Certainly a number of good ideas as far as cleaning up and re-doing your ceiling. But, I agree with "Paulie", you need a bathroom exhaust fan--PERIOD! No matter what type ceiling you decide to go with you will have to put up with the humidity within the bathroom, this humidity is going to be your problem in the very near future. And as "Paulie" stated, now is the time to put one in, before you start on your new ceiling. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Bathroom ceiling repair

OP stated there IS a fan, in her reply to Paulie. That's why I recommended an upgrade/ replacement. Maybe the old one is getting a bit "tired"....