Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

Hello, I'm not too sure where this should be posted, so I hope this is okay.

I made the mistake of allowing my husband to use a shower caddy that is held in place using a tension bar. It has, not surprisingly, pushed up the ceiling and seems to be threatening to pogo stick up into our attic. I've attached a photo, and I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how I can go about fixing this one.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Hillary
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Ceiling Help!-img_1457.jpg  

811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #2

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

Well, step one is to lose the bar that's causing the problem. Then you'll need to determine if the rock is loose or really damaged. In the picture it looks like it was pushed up just enough to crack the joint.

It looks like the joints might have been caulked already. Although not ideal, an easy fix would be to caulk the cracks that have formed with some paintable silicone caulk. Use your finger to tool it into the joint. Once dry, you can paint over it.

The alternative will require some talent with taping and mudding the drywall, and feathering out the repair so it is not visible. The sheetrock would of course need to be rendered secure before that repair is made. Not fun, although it is the ideal fix.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

You also may want to put hubby up in the attic to install some bracing (framing) for that corner to minimize it happening again. 1 or 2 short lengths of 2 x 4's nailed/screwed into the corner (up in the attic) will certainly help.

Jay
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #4

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

Ha! Obviously you've never met my husband. He's amazing in many ways, but this ain't his thing.

What if I both braced and caulked? Although I know it is the right way, I'm not liking the taping/spackling idea just because I know I'm not very good at it. The rock is not damaged at all, it is just barely pushed up as shown in the photo.

So, what do you think? Thanks so much to both of you!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #5

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

You'd be very well off if you had something above the rock to secure it tight. Whether or not that is possible really depends on your home's configuration and your motivation to crawl around in the attic.

Personally, I don't think I'd tape and mud it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #6

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

Perfect. I'm going to be putting in some recessed lights in the same bathroom (I'm sure I'll screw that up, so stand by for a posting in the "Electrical" forum ), so I'll be crawling around up there anyway. Thank you so much and have a good weekend!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #7

Bathroom Ceiling Help!

Just kill the caddy and install some crown to cover...of course this opens up all sorts of other cans o' worms.....

J

Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote