Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bath fan venting

Hello fellow DYI's,
I'm contemplating installing a 110 CFM Fan/Light combo in a kids bathroom were 15-20 minute showers occur atleast once a day. The fan would go in place of a ceiling mounted light fixture. Is 15ft too long a distance to vent outside? I thought of venting through my soffet which would be a shorter distance but was advised that condensation could be drawn back into the attic through the slotted openings in my soffet when my thermatically- controlled attic fan runs only during Summer months. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

BillPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bath fan venting

There are all sizes of fans available. It should do at least 5 room air changes per hour IRC 303.3
Backdraft damper required
Duct termination min. 3 ft. from bldg. openings or property line
Fan must vent to exterior

The best install would be up through the roof as hot air rises naturally. Run for 15 minutes minimum after shower.

The roof mount exhaust is 5-10% more efficient at removing warm, moist air (hot air rises) than a side mount one. Roof terminal should have a pipe neck attached for a positive connection. Use straight pipe (metal or PVC) whenever possible, wrapped with insulation. Corrugated, flex, pipe creates turbulence and has almost double the surface area for water exhausted in baths to collect on. Use as few bends as possible, and 45s* instead of 90s*. Tape metal joints with silver tape, not duct tape (4 year life). Use hose clamps or similar, and a screw on topside of metal joints. Use HVAC black tape for plastic covered insulation. Insulate the whole pipe and the fan box. Use caulk to seal the small gaps at the fan to wallboard joint. Let no heated moist air into the attic which would cause mold, mildew, wet other insulation (defeating its purpose), and even make frost in your attic.

Used some of my tips from elsewhere. Wade through it and pick out what pertains. Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Bath fan venting

Hi,

Vent it through the roof.
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Bath fan venting

I also had to put up with the long showers when the boys were still here and I had to remind them many times to leave the fan running when they left the bath and shower area. NOW, I am installing bath vent fans as part of my business and have found something I wish I had twenty years ago. This is not an advertisement, just advice! Mark-Time now has a timer switch for the bath vent fan that looks like a regular toggle switch, except it has a built in timer for the vent fan. You turn on the light and fan combo, then when you turn off the light the fan continues to run for the pre-set amount of time to clear out the moisture. When I run across a customer with teenagers and can talk them into this switch they love it. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote