Basketball Pole - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basketball pole

Curious how hard it would be to install a basketball pole/goal?

Seems like almost anyone can do it, the videos I've seen have people jamming rebar into the cement they are pouring, not really sure what that does.

Anyone have any good experiences/ lessons learned?

Also looking for a small circular pole to use instead of the larger square bases. Tips?

Advertisement

brahler47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

Basketball pole

It's been at least 20+ yrs., but my dad and I put one up in our backyard. It was fairly easy. The b-ball goal we got had a 4" round pole with a sleeve that went into the concrete. We dug the hole 2-3' deep, placed the sleeve in the hole, placed some rocks/gravel at the bottom of the hole around the sleeve, and poured the concrete (we didn't use rebar). After letting the concrete cure, we slipped the pole into the sleeve, and then finished putting backboard and goal on the pole. It took us two days total. It has been standing there ever since. We even dunked on it (adjustable height ) and it never tried to fall over. A tree even fell on it and only broke the backboard (it actually saved our garage from being crushed). I guess it depends on what kind/type you get. I have no idea what is out there anymore. Just make sure you dig the hole deep enough and wide enough- I think we made a 3-4' diameter hole. Good luck and have fun.

Advertisement

Centex2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Basketball pole

There should be instructions that come with it, in how deep the pole must be in the ground. Some people place a Sonotube with a foot on it, before pouring the cement, so that the pole stays in place.

Check also your local code office, due to they may have specific rules on the placement of basketball hoops, setback code, and your Homeowner's Insurance may also have some rules, regarding having one.

Keep in mind that some also offer flood lamps, that attach to the top, for those who want to play hoops at night, so you will also have to possibly pull a permit, to run electric to that junction box, if you decide to add that unit on.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 766

Basketball pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
There should be instructions that come with it, in how deep the pole must be in the ground. Some people place a Sonotube with a foot on it, before pouring the cement, so that the pole stays in place.
In most cases you're better off not using a Sonotube and instead just pouring against the undisturbed soil that you dug the hole in. This way you don't have to worry about the backfill compressing and allowing the pole to tilt under the load. It's still good to undercut the bottom of the hole a little to give it a better footing.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Basketball pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
In most cases you're better off not using a Sonotube and instead just pouring against the undisturbed soil that you dug the hole in. This way you don't have to worry about the backfill compressing and allowing the pole to tilt under the load. It's still good to undercut the bottom of the hole a little to give it a better footing.
The problem with that is that in a lot of places, you have loam or very Sandy Soil, so you have to use a Sono-tube, to hold the post in the ground.

If you did not use one, the pole would easily be moved, without it. More mass, the harder it would be, to move that pole. Also, some areas require more then just a hole dug in the ground, the pole placed into the concrete, with no form of support, to keep the pole from being moved.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 766

Basketball pole

I certainly agree that soil conditions make a big difference, but I've seen several installations where people used a Sonotube for a form and then just put in loose backfill around it. The basketball post or whatever rapidly tilted in the 1st good wind because it had minimal lateral support.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote