Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

Basic multimeter usage

I just purchased the Gardner Bender GDT-3200 multimeter. It came with a black and red probe plus a one probe that has two ends that goes into the two wholes on the unit. I have read some basic usage of a multimeter but still feel like I need more info.

1. What does a single prob that has two ends that goes inside the unit's two holes use for?

2. When the instruction said, "touch the negative probe to a known ground". What is "ground" mean in this case? Is it the ground as dirt/earth?

3. If I want to find the AC voltage on a wire, do I need to touch the negative probe to ground? If not, how do I measure the number of volts that's coming off a wire cable?

Thanks!

2Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Basic multimeter usage

1 It sounds like you are talking about the temperature probe.

2 It means a metallic object or wire that is connected to a grounded electrode - yes that means a metal rod stuck in the ground. Like the bare copper wire in an electrical cable.

3 Touch the probes to the white and black wire in the cable or the silver and gold colored terminals on a receptacle. You can also test from a known ground (see #2) and the black wire in a cable or the gold screw on a receptacle.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Electrician

Basic multimeter usage

2Charlie, what type of work are you looking to do with this meter?

I think it's best if you study up on the basics of electricity, that will help you become much more productive with the meter.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Basic multimeter usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Charlie View Post
I just purchased the Gardner Bender GDT-3200 multimeter. It came with a black and red probe plus a one probe that has two ends that goes into the two wholes on the unit. I have read some basic usage of a multimeter but still feel like I need more info.

1. What does a single prob that has two ends that goes inside the unit's two holes use for?

2. When the instruction said, "touch the negative probe to a known ground". What is "ground" mean in this case? Is it the ground as dirt/earth?

3. If I want to find the AC voltage on a wire, do I need to touch the negative probe to ground? If not, how do I measure the number of volts that's coming off a wire cable?

Thanks!
If this unit came with instructions, you should read through them a few times. If it didn't, see if you can pick them up online.
This tool should not be used unless you fully understand what you're doing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

Basic multimeter usage

It sounds like you know little to nothing about electricity. You'd better learn. Checking voltage when your meter is set to resistance or current measurement will blow it up (literally).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Basic multimeter usage

If you seach Google or another search engine using 'multimeter usage' you will find many locations with good instructions.
When I searched I found this site ' ' and it gives some idea of what a multimeter can be used for.

A multimeter isn't magical. If you have no idea of what the terms voltage, amperage and resistance mean, a meter will have little value to you.
As has been previously noted, knowledge of basic electricity a must, if you hope to make use of the meter.

For example http://www.educypedia.be/electronics...tycircuits.htm

Last edited by Wildie; 07-30-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote