Basement Well Flooding - HELP - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Well Flooding - HELP

My house was built in 1930 with a walkout basement. The well has a drain but my neighbor's drainage system is broken and water comes pouring out of his retaining wall when it rains. The well drain cannot take on the massive amount of water and therefore, my basement floods when the water comes in from under the door. I have seen the water as high as 3 feet backed up in the well. My neighbor is facing foreclosure and cannot fix it right now. Is there a "stop-gap" I can put in place until it can be fixed? Suggestions welcome - PLEASE>

Advertisement

CarolineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,566

By "well" I assume you mean a drainage hole or pit. Put a sump pump in the hole and pump the water away.

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #3

Pardon my ignorance (female executive here), the "well" is the walkout space with stairs to take you to ground level. I have a sump pump in the basement already. I believe the drain in the "well" is hooked up to the sewer line. Does that sound right?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

If the drain is hooked to the sewer then it must be clogged if the water is not draining.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

CarolineR; The easiest and quickest way is to call RotorRooter or similar company. Let them snake that line and if they cant break it open then they may have a camera which can go in and see what the problem is. Note I didnt say "cheap" but in your situation Time and more flooding is way more expensive.
Normally these type of drains are run into a "drywell" which is a pit dug into the ground and filled with crushed stone, lets the water slowly drain into the ground kinda like a septic system.
Jack

Last edited by skymaster; 10-08-2008 at 11:22 PM.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

Thanks Skymaster! I had that done 2 years ago and there was nothing, in fact I had the entire lateral line replaced. When it flooded the first time (it has done this 4 times since May), they did the "sewer-oscopy" but I am not sure they went all the way back to the basement well. As a result of all of the flooding, the main sewer line was just replaced and the lateral line to the main (the section belonging to the city). I also expanded my waterproofing drain tile system. This has been a VERY expensive process and I am totally frustrated that it is still flooding. This is how I have come to the conclusion that the massive amounts of water are simply too much for the system. SO - how do I re route the water from my well? Fixing the neighbors draining system is the number 1 endeavor, but since he cannot do that at this time, what else can I do to re route the water without making my backyard look like something out of Sanford and Son?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

Can dig a ditch or build a berm along the bottom of the reatining wall to direct the water elsewhere?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #8

There is no space between my driveway and his retaining wall. I have a video of what happens when it rains. I am going to try to upload it tonight when I get home from work so you can see what is happening.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Custom Cabinet Maker

Carolin: Yes pics would help immensley. I know this is stating the obvious but I am having a "Whats wrong with this picture?" moment. With that much water, and the offending wal that close something is NOT being seen IS it possible that the flooding is comming UP thru your drain? Do you know what size that drain is?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #10

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=MVI_0276.flv

Here is a link to one of the videos. You can't see the well (that video is too large) but you can see what is happening.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #11

That block was purposely put there as a drain. That is why it is on its side.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #12

I get that, but the water that pours out of there ends up in my basement. How can I prevent that from happening since replacing the wall and correcting the drainage system is not an option at this time?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Custom Cabinet Maker

WOW: That is a major problem :{:{:{ Even tho your neighbor is having real problems right now, sorry but I would be all over him That is a serious enuf issue that you should have the town see your video. This is a health issue, it is destroying YOUR house, etc etc. That has to be resolved on HIS property!!! and ASAP.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #14

Wink

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Realistically your neighbor is probably not going to do anything about this if he/she is having financial difficulty. Right now I would say the #1 priority would be to direct the water in a controlled fashion to an area of your choose (preferably away from the garage and home). It looked like from the video there was a foot high concrete ledge. I would setup some type of canal or gutter system to direct the water someplace else. Obviously this is something the neighbor should resolve but it is not likely to occur anytime soon so rather than let any more damage occur take it upon yourself to protect your investment.[/FONT]
jeff.schiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
1921 Sears&Robuc

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineR View Post
http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=MVI_0276.flv

Here is a link to one of the videos. You can't see the well (that video is too large) but you can see what is happening.

Wow that is bad!!! So how long of a run is this? What is the length of property match? And do you have this concrete, berm(ledge) the entire length of the run?
A very quick and easy fix yet costly(not nearly as costly as your property investment) would be have a concrete crew come out and form you a solid poured wall 6" thick 2' ft tall the entire length of the run! If they were good concrete formersit then it would look like it belonged thier(to match the preexisting ledge already thier). Thier is no other way to I see to resolve the issue other then deterant, and since you already have the ledge thie rin place use it as a support for the new form, and get that water from you property!
And since I am not up on codes, make sure you are in code compliance, before spending a penny! But a solid pour would definatly move the water somewhere else!
And just had a thought= you could add a very nice cultured stone effect to the exterior surface of the wall when finished(great do-it-yourselfer project) For an exceptional looking retaining wall!!!(better then that eye sore you have now heck the wall isn't even jointed? the blocks are just stacked on one another?????)! Hey just my two cents worth! not much huh? LOL!

Advertisement

My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote