Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

basement walls

I'm the new guy and I just found out I screwed up on my basement walls.
I installed the rigid foam insulation in the unfinished workshop in the basement walls (glued it) and thanks to Holmes on Holmes I learned that I can't leave them exposed because of fire code. I'm assuming now my only choice is to wall board it.

Several questions now.
What is the minimum framing I can put in. 2/2 2/3 2/4?
Do I have to do 16 inch center framing since it is not a structural wall? I understand the need for framing for wall board installation.
Do I need a vapor barrier on top of the studs? I have no moisture problem in the basement.
I'm not sure how to attached to bottom frame to the floor and have the impression in need a foam barrier between it and the floor.

Looking for some directions please, Thanks, Dave

those are my first questions, I suspect I will have more.

dorcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

basement walls

To begin with, have you checked your LOCAL building code to see if you're "illegal"?? You CAN frame with any of the dimensional lumber you asked about, but I'd use 2"x4" (if it were mine). I would advise you do a search on this site about the vapor barrier and draw your own conclusions. It has been covered many times and there are different schools of thought. Use pressure treated lumber for your bottom plate. It can be shot down with a "powder actuated" gun (rent one) or use "Tap-con" screws (available at the big box stores), but you'll likely need a hammer drill (rent-able also). No foam barrier needed.....

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #3

basement walls

Thanks for your response. I did check with a local contractor and he pretty much confirmed what I have found out. Any suggestions on 16 inch center. Is it necessary since is isn't a structural wall? I was trying to save on cost but have found over the years when I do that I get stupid about it.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

basement walls

You can get by with 24" centers since it's non-loadbearing, but the cost of the few studs you'll save isn't enough to worry about in my opinion. One stud every 4' at $3.00 (or less) each. The wall will be much sturdier with 16" centers....
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

basement walls

Dorcut,
Please take a minute and update your profile with an aproximate location. Don't believe everything you see on tv. Everything isn't done the same way everywhere do to climate. Ditto on the 16" centers for the wall. It will be much easier to hang the drywall, better support, etc.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

basement walls

have you thought about just glueing up some of that cheap thin particle baord laminate paneling, or the fake brick panelling. its a bit flimsy, but if the insulation is in there good, and you glue the pannelling well, I think it would work. It would be cheap to try out on a short wall anyways.

Failing that, there it the thick rough groved particle board/plywood stuff. just use some concete screw to hold it against the wall, sandwiching in the foam board.

building up a frame and drywalling it seams like alot of pointless work for a workshop. I think I might look at just screwing some sheeting through the insulation into the concrete even if I wanted it drywalled.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #7

basement walls

Thanks all for the responses. I did up date my profile. I live in Montreal and did check with a local contractor to confirm about the code requirements. It even says it on the rigid insulation panels but says it in French. Being a Yankee in Canada I haven't taken up French. Kind of late for me at this point. Keep the comments and suggestions coming. Dave
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

basement walls

How thick is the rigid foam ?
Anything less then 2" & I'd add a 2x2 or 2x4 wall (16" OC) & add fiberglass insulation
Add outlets etc as needed
Then add plywood/drywall etc to finish it off
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #9

basement walls

Thanks all for the comments, I made a decision and have gone with 2/3's on 16 inch center with wall board. I figure if I ever sell it won't hurt the value of the home if some one wants to make it into more that a work shop.
I like the chat room. A lot of good info here, Now that I'm retired I have time play on it.
Suba Dave. You took on heck of a project with your home. Hope it has worked out for you. Again thanks to all for the direction. Dave