Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Wall Project

I am in the process of framing in my basement and would like some advise. Lasts year the home was built and the blocks were laid with a waterproof insulating material applied to the outside before being backfilled. Each basement wall is backfilled with dirt so there is no exposed wall outside (no door entrance to basement). My question is do I need to add a vapor barrier or insulation behind the 2x4 walls I plan to erect and cover with drywall. The basement is currently dry and the walls are warm to the touch.

flati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Basement Wall Project

Come on guys, give me some opinions..

Old 12-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #3

Basement Wall Project

vapour barrier the warm side of your insulation
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Jack of all, master nope

Basement Wall Project

I ran my walls freestanding about an inch from the foundation wall. This allows for air flow and inspection if something looks like it is trouble. Not sure if it is the best way but it worked for me so far.
rss021815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Basement Wall Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
vapour barrier the warm side of your insulation
What he said.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Basement Wall Project

Should I insulate, the walls feel fine to the touch, I believe the outside has insulation or something on it prior to backfilling.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #7

Basement Wall Project

Where are you located ?
You want a vapor retarder - like the paper on paper faced insulation
Having the outside barrier & an inside barrier will trap moisture
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #8

Basement Wall Project

I think there needs to be a rule on this forum. If you don't post your location, you can't ask a question. The original OP needs to post their location for this question to be answered properly. How is anyone going to answer this according to local code and climate?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Basement Wall Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
I think there needs to be a rule on this forum. If you don't post your location, you can't ask a question. The original OP needs to post their location for this question to be answered properly. How is anyone going to answer this according to local code and climate?
I agree
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Basement Wall Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post

http://www.diychatroom.com/f36/make-...ning-up-60217/

I agree.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #11

Basement Wall Project

I'm in Ohio..
Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #12

Basement Wall Project

Thanks to jaros for bringing this issue up, yet again, about asking people to identify where they are located.

With New Years resolutions and all, I for one, aim not to waste anymore of my time asking people for this basic info when I reply to legitimate questions to which I may have a contribution to make. I'm not holding my breath though, as 'dumbing down' of bbs to satisfy every yokel on the planet seems more interesting that the quality of contributors...

I'm not poking fun at DIYers - this has nothing to do with the purpose of this bbs; but I can't fathom the justification for not asking people to fill in what corner of the globe they come from. Seems simple enough...

But to help the OP out, I read that the builders probably did the minimum code requirement for the outside walls of his foundation by putting up - in his words - "a waterpoof insulating material". Unfortunately that doesn't say much since there are dozens of configurations out there that fit that description.

But that means that the builder has put up something that will prevent bulk water from entering through the mortar and cracks of his block foundation. Doesn't do squat for 'insulation' nor for 'vapour management' - it's not meant to. So those two issues are to be dealt with in Ohio.

So the walls need R13 or more on the walls, something like that, i.e. about 4" thick of some insulation whether it's XPS or fibreglass batts or whatever. So right there, he'll be looking at something he can either build or put up himself...Now the answer to that depends on what he wants to do inside...drywall maybe?

He'll also need a vapour management system of some kind to prevent the warm air inside from condensing on the cold outer wall. Faced fibreglass batts? Maybe but definitelty one of the Class 2 vapour retarders...

But to be really effective, he'll have to airseal the rim joists and other penetrations where cold air can come in, otherwise all this insulation and vapour retarder work is like peeing in the wind. May feel good but you'll get the worst of it soon enough.

We'll need a lot more info to be able to guide the OP through the best choice to make in his particular situation but those are the bare bones of it.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by ccarlisle; 01-03-2010 at 08:56 AM.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #13

Basement Wall Project

"My question is do I need to add a vapor barrier or insulation behind the 2x4 walls I plan to erect and cover with drywall. The basement is currently dry and the walls are warm to the touch." --------- The basement is dry because if there were any water present it would evaporate due to the heated air in the basement. The best way to insulate and control moisture: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1

Be safe, Gary
Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #14

Basement Wall Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Thanks to jaros for bringing this issue up, yet again, about asking people to identify where they are located.

With New Years resolutions and all, I for one, aim not to waste anymore of my time asking people for this basic info when I reply to legitimate questions to which I may have a contribution to make. I'm not holding my breath though, as 'dumbing down' of bbs to satisfy every yokel on the planet seems more interesting that the quality of contributors...

I'm not poking fun at DIYers - this has nothing to do with the purpose of this bbs; but I can't fathom the justification for not asking people to fill in what corner of the globe they come from. Seems simple enough...

But to help the OP out, I read that the builders probably did the minimum code requirement for the outside walls of his foundation by putting up - in his words - "a waterpoof insulating material". Unfortunately that doesn't say much since there are dozens of configurations out there that fit that description.

But that means that the builder has put up something that will prevent bulk water from entering through the mortar and cracks of his block foundation. Doesn't do squat for 'insulation' nor for 'vapour management' - it's not meant to. So those two issues are to be dealt with in Ohio.

So the walls need R13 or more on the walls, something like that, i.e. about 4" thick of some insulation whether it's XPS or fibreglass batts or whatever. So right there, he'll be looking at something he can either build or put up himself...Now the answer to that depends on what he wants to do inside...drywall maybe?

He'll also need a vapour management system of some kind to prevent the warm air inside from condensing on the cold outer wall. Faced fibreglass batts? Maybe but definitelty one of the Class 2 vapour retarders...

But to be really effective, he'll have to airseal the rim joists and other penetrations where cold air can come in, otherwise all this insulation and vapour retarder work is like peeing in the wind. May feel good but you'll get the worst of it soon enough.

We'll need a lot more info to be able to guide the OP through the best choice to make in his particular situation but those are the bare bones of it.
So much for this years resolution!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Basement Wall Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by flati View Post
So much for this years resolution!
LOL!!! that's why I do a New Years Suggestion instead of a resolution.

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote