Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

Basement stairs need support

I want to replace a small flight of stairs to the basement due to sloping, squeaking and basically nothing holding it up.

The problem is there is no way to extend the total run due to an exterior door at the lower landing and another flight to the basement floor, so the stringers have very little to attach to. The rises and runs are already both near 8 inches so I really don't want to add a hanger board and that wouldn't fix the support for the bottom of the string. The only thing I can think of is to add three 2x6 and run them from the landing joist to blocking behind the top ledger joist. (see attached).

Any better ideas?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement stairs need support-basement-stairs.jpg  

beulahsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Interesting. Unorthodox, but it actually looks workable.... though I might double that single upper joist, but then maybe not.... it's not long, only three steps, right?

Some good lags through the 2x10 on the bottom, though. And maybe square the bottom point of the 2x6, and put a ledger under it.

Last edited by Willie T; 08-21-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #3

Yes, only three steps, total run is 24". My thought was to make the stringer fatter by sistering something to it.

Doubling the upper right joist would be problematic due to wires, pipes. The 2x10 at the bottom is attached to posts about 3 feet apart with three 3/8 lags each. I was just going to attach the stringer with angle brackets at the bottom and lags at the top through the blocking. The 2x6s would only be 54" total length.
beulahsue is offline   Reply With Quote