Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Share |

Basement leak. Sump pump or French drain?

I live on a sloping property. When it rains heavily a lot of water is flows to the front wall of the houses foundation. I get water in the basement.

I have had a few contractors look at it. If their specialty is basement waterproofing they recommend a sump pump. If their specialty is landscaping and French drains they recommend a French drain.

I would prefer to not cut a hole in the foundation and install a sump pump. Would like to try a French drain first and route the water to the side of the house and down the hill.

Any advice?

Jim

Jmcnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
I have gas!

I'd start with prevention first and see if that fixes the problem.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcnyc View Post
I live on a sloping property. When it rains heavily a lot of water is flows to the front wall of the houses foundation. I get water in the basement.

I have had a few contractors look at it. If their specialty is basement waterproofing they recommend a sump pump. If their specialty is landscaping and French drains they recommend a French drain.

I would prefer to not cut a hole in the foundation and install a sump pump. Would like to try a French drain first and route the water to the side of the house and down the hill.

Any advice?

Jim
Second Clutch's advice. Stopping or redirecting the water would be the first thing I'd attempt. Perforated pipe, drainage channels or retianing wall might redude or eliminate the water issue.
French drains require a sump pump to get rid of the drain directed water.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote