Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Basement Leak

I have a poured concrete basement wall with no cracks. However, we recently had a very heavy rainfall and ground water is seaping between the concrete floor and the poured wall. This has happened in the past but we thought it had been resolved and then came this deluge.

My question is what is the best way to seal the seam to stop the water? Will a water plug cement stop it or some other material? Either way, I will have to take down all the panelling and studing to get to the leak.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Tom

twaters12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Basement Leak

I assume you have done all the necessary exterior work (10' extensions, positive slope away for 20') to divert surface water away.

If, not, try to visualize what the wide excavation looked like before the footings and walls were built. - This is a swimming pool that the builder decided to build a house in. At some location, there was also probably a ramp dug for access. This will give you an idea of how far you have to carry water away. Just backfilling does not help and can hurt if it is the wrong material.

Hydraulic cement is the standard repair for the wall/floor joint that is always there. Make sure you open the joint well (dovetail shape preferred) and pack the material in. Do not mix too much ahead, because it can begin to set quickly.

If you have the surface drainage OK and the joint sealed, the next step would be exterior excavation (if you can get at all the wall) or interior drain tile (at or below the footing level), which is more common and reliable.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #3

Basement Leak

Thank you for the information. I have already done some work on the outside and will have to do more in the Spring as I live in upstate NY. The inside work.... You recomend hydraulic cement over a "water plug" compound?

I have a pneumatic hammer drill for the joint. This is a finished basement so I will have to remove the panelling in that area to do the work and then rebuild it.

I'm no expert either....and I can prove it.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Tom
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Basement Leak

I think water plus is a brand name the the generic hydraulic cement, which has been around for many, many years.

One of the premier water proofing/restoration material suppliers also rebrands to fill out a product line.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #5

Basement Leak

I would go online and look under waterproofing companies. They have lots of info on the subject and pictures to show you. You should have a inside and outside drainage tile sysyem in place. The easiest way is to look in the subpump crock....if there are two wholes coming from the sides ... you have a inside and outside drainage system in place already. If there is one hole you have an outside system in place already. An inside drainage system is the way to go. This is a matter of jack hammering a path along the walls and installing inside drainage tile to your subpump. Anyway...check on waterproofing on the net. Too hard to explain without being there.
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
ICF Construction

Basement Leak

Sounds like hydrostatic pressure to me. Upstate New York? I believe that is pretty good clay you have there. First thing to look at is open the sump pump cover and about 6" down from the concrete drill a 1" hole in the side (Use a cordless drill). if you see water flowing in you got hydrostatic pressure and it has no place to go. As stated above you may need to jackhammer a channel all around the interior of the footing and install a weeping tile leading to the sump pit. If no water comes into the sump pit then you've got another problem, sealing the seam between the floor and wall is not the answer, water must be traced back to it's source and plugged there. Sealing the seam could mean bigger more expensive problems down the road as the water will be looking for another way in.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #7

Basement Leak

Apparently I must look into the situation more "deeply". The house is 36 years old and I believe they took some shortcuts when they built it. There is no drainage tile visible in the "trap". There also is no sump pump as it does have a drain in it that drains into the sewer. The trap is supposed to drain off the ground water however it appears that some of the ground water is taking a short cut. The ground has a layer of mixed clay on the surface but just below that are several feet of shale in multiple layers. The water table in the ground after a rainstorm can be as high as about 16 inches below the surface. I also live on the receiving end of a hill.

Woe is me.......

Tom
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
ICF Construction

Basement Leak

Look into www.basementsystems.com they are full of a wealth of information for you.