Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Share |

Basement interior wall repair

I have a non weight bearing basement wall that has water damage and the base 2x4 has dry rot and needs to be replaced, Im not sure how without replacing the whole wall?

Captnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #2

Replace the wall.It's possible you can salvage the studs if it's just the bottom plate that has damage.Will probably be the quickest and most cost effective to just do it and be done.The old wall will have to be dried out good so there is no chance of mold and then rebuilt.If you have to remove the bottom plate your taking the wall down anyhow.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Far side of the wall supports the diy tile shower installed by the previous ownwer, bringing down the wall is the option I'm trying to avoid. Too many complications with the tile job and I'm not in a place where I can replace the shower right now. I know its the right thing to do. The leak was repaired an the shower hasnt been used in a year so the wall is dry. Is there some kind of epoxy or wood fill I can use to stabilize the bottom plate?

Last edited by Captnord; 07-02-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Captnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

We have no pictures and almost no info so there's going to be a lot of miss information.
No such thing as "dry rot"
It's wood that has gotten wet then dried out but it's still rotten. Main reason, it was not pressure treated wood.
Patching, putty, epoxy will add 0 strength. Plate needs to be cut out and replaced with a pressure treated one.
Going to do no good to try and fix without figuring out what caused it to fail.
All water proofing should be done outside not inside in most cases.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #5

I kinda agree with Joe rot was probably caused by the previous leak. Almost anything you do to the bottom plate is going to damage the tile side. It may just be cracks in the grout to tile coming loose. Is the non-tile side open? Can you see the studs? If so then what is the backing for the tile, drywall, or cement board? Come to think of it either one is probably screwed into the bottom plate. No come to think about it the shower pan should be above the plate. I NEED coffee can you post a pic while I go get it.

I'm starting to confuse myself.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote