Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement insulation

I just moved into a 1 level ranch built in 1953. I have two insutlation issues that I need to take care of because we waste a lot of heat now that temps are very low (live in the northeast).

The basement is unfinished and cold due to the windows. How can i insulate them without using batt insulation which would block out the light and potentially create moisture issues between the insulation and window? I thought about the shrink wrap like windopw insulation, but with a potruding open/close lever sticking out and the window being 4-5 inches deep into the cement wall, I thought it might be less effective.

The other issue is my oil furnace stack goes through the basement wall into the garage. The hole around the stack is 1" too big, so it lets in a lot of cold air form the garage. I assume i can insualte this hole by putting insualtion there, but would it be safe to put some batt insualtion there? It gets hot and I do not want to create a hazard or have the insulation melt.

lenkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #2

Basement insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkaj View Post
I just moved into a 1 level ranch built in 1953. I have two insutlation issues that I need to take care of because we waste a lot of heat now that temps are very low (live in the northeast).

The basement is unfinished and cold due to the windows. How can i insulate them without using batt insulation which would block out the light and potentially create moisture issues between the insulation and window? I thought about the shrink wrap like windopw insulation, but with a potruding open/close lever sticking out and the window being 4-5 inches deep into the cement wall, I thought it might be less effective.

The other issue is my oil furnace stack goes through the basement wall into the garage. The hole around the stack is 1" too big, so it lets in a lot of cold air form the garage. I assume i can insualte this hole by putting insualtion there, but would it be safe to put some batt insualtion there? It gets hot and I do not want to create a hazard or have the insulation melt.
When we bought our house are windows where bad too.What i did was built a 2x2 frame and using vapor barrior wrap it around the frame just used stapeles to hold plastic on .JUST MAKE SURE YOUR FRAME IS NICE AND tight around the window.Then i just used them like storm windows I made them so they when't on the outside.Then you can use them over again if you want now thats just a temperary fix but better than nothing . Now your oil furance pipe I just put a liner in my chimmey and my hole was to big too find some parging mix cement somthing that does fairly well with the heat that pipe gets really hot the last thing you want to do is start a fire.

johndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

Basement insulation

I would make the hole in the garage wall your priority ASAP. I would fill the hole with hydraulic cement and make sure it's air tight. Right now Carbon Monoxide is entering your home every time a vehicle enters/leaves or idles in your garage. It's odorless and extremely harmful.
Lunker is offline   Reply With Quote