Basement Framed - Please Help. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement framed - please help.

I recently removed the old paneling that surrounded my basement walls. The walls have 2x4's nailed directly to them and it does not look like the walls are sealed.

I am wanting to drywall the surroundings, but want to know what steps I should take to install some sort of insullation.

I live in Michigan and the walls are currently framed only - nailed to the cement basement walls.

All forums show how to vapor barrier before framing, but I am beyond that stage.

Do I 6mil water vapor over the 2x4s, mount pink Rigid Foam, then drywall? Please help with any suggestions or comments as I want to wrap this project up correctly.

Advertisement

itlnStln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't want your wood material on the exterior side of a vapor barrier. In my opinion you'd be better off without a vapor barrier unless you're willing to take the framing down and re-do it.

Are there moisture/humidity issues in the basement?

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

no moisture, but has standard "basement humidity".
itlnStln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...hterm=basement

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...hterm=basement

Foam,1", glued to concrete below grade. Framed wall on p.t. plate on sill sealer or tarpaper. Seal all joints with tape, unfaced insulation at wood wall, drywall, texture, paint with latex to allow assembly to dry to inside. Use Dens-shield, way better. No vapor barrier, as Kc said. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

If going with the 1-2" of foam on foundation wall then frame a wall and use unfaced insulation do you build the framed wall right up against the foam to help hold it against the foundation wall or do you leave some sort of space between the foam and the framing?

If going the way of using furring strips directly over the foam how do you handle any plumbing on the wall say for washing machine and drop sink supplies when the gypsum board will mount right to the furring strips?

And last, what type of drywall material is recommended to use in a basement setting?

Thanks for the links this may be my winter project this year
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

1" air space to foam from framing as per article. 1" of foam, otherwise the foam stops the moisture from drying to the inside room.
Need to frame wall out to include pipes.

If no outside drain-tile with waterproofed exterior wall below grade, expect some moisture to get through. Base drywall material on past history of concrete wall's wetness. Gypsum board, special gypsum board, Dens-shield, etc.
http://www.rd.com/57548/article57548.html

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation

Be safe, G

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote