Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Flooded

Hi Guys

I live in High River, Alberta and my town has just been on receiving end of Canada's worst natural disaster. The entire town was flooded and under water, some areas are still under water after nearly 4 weeks. Downtown was about 12' deep.
My basement which I finished only 2 months ago was flooded with 4' of sewage. It is cleaned, sanitized and dry now but I was wondering how soon I can start to develop my basement again?
Your input would be great

powdaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

Basement Flooded

If it truly is dried out then I see no reason to wait unless there is more work to be done like install a back flow valve to prevent sewage backup again.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Basement Flooded

as long as it's dry really dry you can start.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Basement Flooded

Sorry for that; yup, High River has been all over the news these past weeks - but was overshadowed by our own rail disaster at Lac-Megantic.

I'd wait a few days for any teltale signs of mould, like a foul smell. There's nothing quite like doing it all up only to have to tear it down. Give it a week or so.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-18-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Removed comment
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #5

Basement Flooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle
Sorry for that; yup, High River has been all over the news these past weeks - but was overshadowed by our own rail disaster at Lac-Megantic.

I'd wait a few days for any teltale signs of mould, like a foul smell. There's nothing quite like doing it all up only to have to tear it down. Give it a week or so.
Didn't want to come across as a sympathy hunter I was just trying to out the amount of water received in perspective, I apologize if I've offended anyone.
I know it's not the same as High River and you have lost a lot of town folk, hope the truth about how and why it happened.

Thanks for the input

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.
powdaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

Basement Flooded

Wait and try to dry it completely then start the work because basement takes time in drying process.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Basement Flooded

If you should have a piece of lumber in that area that could be checked for moisture content occasionally that would be great. When it's around 10 percent you'll be good to go.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Basement Flooded

One thing that's going for you, in a way: it's summer! Now depending on the humidity index in your neck of the wooods, your basement may benefit from opening the windows for a week to make sure it's really dry.

Even just 4" of water in a basement can be a problem...

Have you taken a humidity reading down there? Let's say the outside temperature is 25 deg C and the relative humidity is - I don't know - say 40% - whereas down in your basement, it's the same temperature - but the humidity is 75% - then open your windows and let nature take it's course.

But humidity readings are great for this application. Let us know.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Basement Flooded

Develop your basement? That is a new term there.

Personallly I wouldn't, especially in the fact that it is going to happen again.

You are talking about a 100 year flood, but they seem to occur more like every two years.

Suggest moving hvac & water heater, along with laundry upstairs. If any water came through the upstairs, suggest moving upstream above the problem.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #10

Basement Flooded

Even 4" of sewage backup is considered 'Black' water i.e water that carries bacteria etc - and should be remediated by a professional service contractor - and I hope it was. It may also contain all forms of 'organics' just waiting for time to pass by before putrifying. Even more reason to wait a while before redoing your basement.

Someone suggested you move your HVAC and laundry facilites upstairs; this is quite extreme indeed in our climate and far from practical; so is the idea put forward of moving to a place upstream of the problem. Hardly a practical viewpoint IMO.

I know that High River is still in the throes of deciding exactly where the river bed is defined - and hence government aid...sorry.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Basement Flooded

ccarlisle, you want to know why it is still trying to decide where its banks need to be, is because of the damming of the river. If there was no human intervention, the river would stay where its natural course is.

The flooding was mostly caused by human intervention that created this disaster, but also a natural event caused by the large snowfall we had this past Winter. Majority of that was snow melt.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote