Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Basement family room project:

I have a small basement room that I'd like to drywall. Block walls should be no trouble furring out and drywalling. The ceiling joists seem very solid and level and I was originally thinking of just drywalling that also.

However, my kitchen is directly above this room and I'm planning to totally demo it and remodel it in the next couple of years. All the plumbing and electrical is in the basement ceiling, so access will be a must. For various reasons I've got to do the family room project first.

Looking for some ideas. I absolutely hate the old style suspended ceilings--metal grid with flimsy panels--just looks cheap and cheesy. Are there any better products/systems out there that are reasonably priced, DIY-friendly, and look good with drywall walls?

TIA!

oldberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

if its "temporary", you could just paint the ceilings and then after the kitchen is done, then drywall. Also, paneling the ceiling, you could just screw it up for now, and take down for kitchen remodel.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

No, it's not temporary, don't want to do the same project twice!

I need something that looks good, is reasonably priced and DIY friendly, individual panels/sections/pieces can be removed for electrical and plumbing work and then replaced.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,112

I just used drywall. I put strapping up on the joists, cut the drywall to 2 foot by 4 foot, screwed it into the strapping, then used decorative strips on top of that. There is no tape or mud under the strips of wood (which are lightly tacked into place) so you simply need to remove the decorative strips and unscrew the panels.

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 01-01-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,518

I know you don't like the look but for under a kitchen I would recommend the suspended ceiling or leave it open and paint it. There are so many pipes and wire going to and from a kitchen you really need to be able to open it up. And a leak on a suspended ceiling panel is easily replaced.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Wow, that looks awesome!

I see that you're in Canada, I'm in Ohio, U.S. When you say "strapping", do you mean what I would call "furring strips"?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldberkeley View Post
Wow, that looks awesome!

I see that you're in Canada, I'm in Ohio, U.S. When you say "strapping", do you mean what I would call "furring strips"?
Yeah... just a bunch of crappy 1x2.
Screwed that into the joists at 2 foot (center) intervals.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #8

Bob- My wife took a look at the picture, she agrees that's exactly what we want, so I'll probably give it a try.

I appreciate your kind assistance and willingness to help. One more question for now (and I'll probably have more!): the wood used as dividers you refer to as "decorative strips". What is it? -Gary
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldberkeley View Post
Bob- My wife took a look at the picture, she agrees that's exactly what we want, so I'll probably give it a try.

I appreciate your kind assistance and willingness to help. One more question for now (and I'll probably have more!): the wood used as dividers you refer to as "decorative strips". What is it? -Gary
Just cheap rubbish I picked up from the molding department at home depot. It's not even wood. It's that fake compressed cardboard molding. I bought a bunch of it at 3/8"x1"x16'

Put your panels up then paint them.
Paint all of your decorative stripping while on the ground in 16' lengths (it's easier that way). Use a chop saw with a good quality blade on it to cut your strips to fit. Make the fits nice and tight so there are no gaps. If your blade is sharp enough then it doesn't splinter the ends too badly and there isn't much touch up painting to do. I used an air brad nailer to put the strips up. covered the nail holes with mud and touched up with paint.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #10

Bob- OK, got it.

We just moved into the house and I've got a few other priority projects to do, so I'm just in the planning phase of this one. Hoping to start in a few weeks.

I might have some more questions then. Thanks again for the great idea, the photo, and your kind assistance. -Gary
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

Finally starting my basement remodel project, going to work at it part time when I can.

Two quick questions:

1. The room is about 10' x 20'. Two small windows at each end. How many can lights do I need? Thinking either 4 or 6.

2. Floor to ceiling is a little over 7'. If I run a 1" x 2" or 1" x 3" furring strip vertically every 2', is that enough to support 1/2" drywall, or do I need something horizontal at the top and bottom and middle?

TIA.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 684

Where are you located? Are you planning on running any electrical or putting in insulation? Is regular framing totally out of the question? Is this below grade?

I would recommend rigid foam on the walls and then regular 2x4 framing if possible.

As far as lights it depends on the lights themselves. In a similar area I used six 3 inch lights from HD(the cheap $12 ones) on a dimmer and a fan in the middle. It's bright enough without being too much.

Best pic I have:
Attached Thumbnails
Basement family room project:-img_20130922_211659_817.jpg  

Last edited by mikegp; 02-26-2014 at 08:39 AM.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #13

Thanks for the reply. I got the lighting question answered from another source, going with 6 cans.

2" x 4" won't work, need to use furring strips. Still wondering if 2' vertical spacing is enough or if I need something runnning horizontally.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 684

2' should be fine. Studs are usually either 16" or 24" apart. I would stick with either of those to make your drywall seems land on wood. Horizontal isn't necessary since regular walls don't need them.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

How are you going to run electrical outlets in 3/4"? What about insulation and vapor barrier. Keep in mind that none of this work will be to code. Which could be a problem down the road.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote