Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Share |

Basement drain question

My basement gets water leaking in from the outside. The previous owner poured a 3-4inch slab ontop of the existing slab and left the old slab on the permineter where it was. So i have a 3-4 by 3-4" open drain that goes to a floor drain. My question is that it is not sloped correctly, so water pools in certain areas... What would be the best way to slope that towards the drain? Also what would be the best way to make that more of a closed system....

If this all doesnt make sense i can try to type it again

bigal0043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

Basement drain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal0043 View Post
My basement gets water leaking in from the outside. The previous owner poured a 3-4inch slab ontop of the existing slab and left the old slab on the permineter where it was. So i have a 3-4 by 3-4" open drain that goes to a floor drain. My question is that it is not sloped correctly, so water pools in certain areas... What would be the best way to slope that towards the drain? Also what would be the best way to make that more of a closed system....

If this all doesnt make sense i can try to type it again
Photos might help. No promises though.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Basement drain question

Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

Basement drain question

I have never seen that before. What is causing the water in the basement? Do you have proper drainage, weeping tile, condition of eaves? Or is it from a high water table?
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #5

Basement drain question

We have to add some gutters on the house, but its clay soil so it doesnt drain very well outside.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #6

Basement drain question

1. Ensure that water does not puddle up against the outside of the foundation. You may need to regrade the land about the house and/or use gutter extensions to get the water discharge out further away from the house.

2. You might exploit the ditch around the perimeter of the basement as a weeping tile system unto itself. Dig a pit for a sump pump at one corner or side of the basement so most of the water drains off there. This is not a perfect substitute because it does not allow free desaturation of the surrounding soil into the ditch and then into the newly dug pit.

If you were to put in a real weeping tile system (subsurface French drain) you would have to choose one of wreck the poured slab on all four sides to put the tile system under the perimeter on the inside, or excavate the yard to footing level on all four sides of the house to put the tile system on the outside.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

Basement drain question

for point 2, how could i enclose it better so standing water isnt exposed? could i fill it with crushed gravel and then put a thin coat of concrete on top?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Basement drain question

good points Allan...interior weeping into a sump or 2, landscape and french drain any standing water...

tons of work though
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #9

Basement drain question

Do not fill the ditch with gravel unless you put in a real weeping tile system.

If you want to hide the water you could get a rust resistant U shaped channel that fits upside down in the ditch and is flush with the top slab surface. The sides of the channel should be scalloped so water entering will make it tot he middle of the ditch.

Then put a vapor barrier over the slab surface and add flooring that is also supported by the perimeter upside down channel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-05-2011 at 06:55 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #10

Basement drain question

Two questions: where is the water coming from, and what do you want to make the basement suitable for?

Is the water coming up through the floor or is it coming down the walls? If the former then I don't think there is much you can do to regrade the channels so that the water flows to the drain. If the latter then you could probably "parge" the channels with mortar to get the levels so they flow.

As far as hiding it goes, I think Allen's U-channel idea is the way to go. That or fill them with gravel but don't seal them on top.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote