Basement Drain - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Drain

When i first logged onto your website, the first paragraph i read described by problem perfectly: Now i can't find it nor can i see any resolutions.
I have a drain hole about 4" wide in the basement concrete floor. During heavy rains, water takes over my basement. I was averaging 2 5 gallon buckets every 30 mintes for 10 hours. Why is the water coming inside and how can i fix it?

Advertisement

DJCHarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Basement Drain

I'm no basement expert by any means, but may I suggest more information here: such as-where is the water coming in? From the actual walls themselves, or at the area where the walls meet the floor line? How is the ground graded near the house? Could it be graded to help move any water away from the house? How about gutter downspouts, if any, do they extend far enough away from the house to move water far enough away from the house? So many issues in a problem like this, and certainly pictures would help, especially during an event. Good Luck, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Drain

So, 200 gallons in a 10-hour shift?? where are you in New Orleans? Did this just start? do you have a sump pump - or better question is: why don't you? is this a hole you made or a drain? new house or old?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Drain

We had very heavy rain on Saturday. I contacted the town to find out if there is a map of the drain pipe leading from the house to the gully out front. They are looking into it.
The water was coming from the ground up through our drain hole in the basement floor.
I am hoping the pipe is clogged and it will be a simple cost effective fix.
Thanks for the reply's.. will keep you posted.
DJCHarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #5

Basement Drain

sounds like they either have no piping away from your drain or your drain is tied into your foundation or downspout drains
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #6

Basement Drain

Sounds like you're missing a backwater valve, I think they're called, a backup preventer, you know...

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote