Basement Concern (new Construction-wet Framing) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)

Hey Guys,
I have a huge concern Iím facing right now but not sure if its something major or if its something that needs to be addressed. My issue is that Iím moving into a newly built home that has a basement that is above grade. However every time it rains the walls get really damped (attached picture for reference). I talked to the builder and he said because the doors remain open while it raining, the moisture is accumulates on the walls causing the dampness. I closed the basement doors and windows and I notice it still gets damped when it rains. I plan on finishing the basement and do not want to have any issues with moisture after installing drywall. What would be your best approach to a situation like this? I notice in your videos you simply install R-13 in between the stud walls. I would hate to install insulation in between a wall that continues to get damp when it rains as the moisture will be trapped creating idea conditions for mold and mildew. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)-20131217_140306_resized.jpg   Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)-20131217_140320_resized.jpg  

Advertisement

gotboost15psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Post some pics of the outside of the house on the other side of the damp spots. Some close upe and farther backs.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Post some pics of the outside of the house on the other side of the damp spots. Some close upe and farther backs.
Mike Hawkins
The basement is pretty much above grade. Just a small portion towards the front. The walls that are all wood is above the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)-20131201_130936_resized.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

You have a big problem in that area----water is getting behind the siding and past your Tyvek---can you pinpoint the bad areas in the outside of the house for us?
gregzoll (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You have a big problem in that area----water is getting behind the siding and past your Tyvek---can you pinpoint the bad areas in the outside of the house for us?
well im confused because its all over the basement walls. It was all over the house in every part of the walls on the first floor and second floor. could it be the wood itself with an off color? Here are more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)-20131020_122104_resized.jpg   Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)-20131020_122129_resized.jpg   Basement concern (new construction-wet framing)-20131020_122138_resized.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 702

#1 You have no gutters.
#2 He's full of poop, that grade when it's finished should be no closer then 6" to that sheathing. No way is it getting that wet from moisture in the room.
#3 No way should he have left that sheathing exposed like that. Why was there not house wrap and siding covering it?
#4 Looks like there's already a ledger installed under that door on the second floor. That ledger should have been up 7" below that door opening depending on your local code to prevent water from coming in under the door. If you look around this and any DIY site at some of the older post you'll see dozens of post where people are dealing with rotted out subflooring, bottom plates and more from this one common building 101 mistake.
(it's best to include your location in your profile)
gregzoll (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 702

If those are refrigerant lines that are running behind those walls make sure there 100% covered with insulation so there's no condensation inside the walls.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
DIY staff

You have a wet structure---the humidity is condensing on the cold sheeting and soaking it----

Is the heating system running 24/7 and drying out the wet wood?

Those are symptoms of a new structure just recently sealed up----you need to dry it out---propane heater without vents are poor at drying out a place--for some reason they seem to add moisture--or fail to remove it---

We need sixeightten or Lone Framer to comment----as a long time framer I'll bet he knows the best method.
gregzoll (12-23-2013), jomama45 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
DIY staff

Just an added note---this is normal and common---the place got rained on ---the wood is wet----it's trying to dry out and the humidity is condensing on the colder outside wall---

Give it some help---get some heat going---buy a moisture meter---do not add drywall or interior finished until the frame is down to normal humidity.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
DIY staff

I added to your title in order to attract the framers---Moderator,Mike--
Old 12-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote:
I added to your title in order to attract the framers---Moderator,Mike--
The builder told me that was the problem. But i wanted to get a second opinion to make sure i was not being screwed over. It makes sense because its all over. There are some other OSB sheets that looks to be a different grade that does not have that damp look. Maybe water resistant grade?

So i can simply dry it out and after drying i can insulate and install dry wall? I plan on finishing the basement myself BTW
Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
DIY staff

Yep---I'm going to have that issue on an addition that we will be closing up tomorrow---it is soaking wet----

Home owner is finishing the shell----and I know I will be getting a call about the condensation---it's wet----dry it out before finishing the interior.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
DIY staff

This site is great--if you ask the right question and provide enough info--you will get good sound answers----not always pleasant ,but good sound answers--Mike---
gregzoll (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #14

Quote:
This site is great--if you ask the right question and provide enough info--you will get good sound answers----not always pleasant ,but good sound answers--Mike---
Yes i notice i get a response within minutes...good feeling I will open a new post with updates on the whole basement build once it gets started. Hope you guys are here for the support....thanks millions Mike
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
DIY staff

I look forward to the thread-----keep us posted.--Mike----

Advertisement