DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

baseboard trim gaps on stairs

44K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
We're painting some stairs in our house that the previous owners had painted a lovely shade of light purple/gray, including all the trim. The trim going up the stairs was all painted, and appeared to have been caulked between two pieces which had cracked along the edges and looked awful, besides there being so much caulk that there wasn't any kind of a right angle left. We've trimmed out all the old caulk, and are now left with some sizeable gaps between the two pieces of trim (see attached pictures) that run the entire length of the stairs. I've seen quite a few comments and tips on filling gaps between baseboards/trim and walls, and the gaps between baseboards and floors, but haven't seen anything on filling gaps between two different pieces of baseboards and trim. We would prefer not to replace the trim if at all possible. What would the best way of filling the space between the trim? Wood filler? Spackle? Caulk again? Any particular products in general? DAP?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome beppygirl!

Okay, here's my 2 cents FWIW. Perhaps the staircase settled a bit over the years and created the gap which was originally filled in with painter's caulk. You could either remove the molding and lower it on the wall to where it contacts the staircase and then do all of the cosmetics - OR - fill the gap in with several applications of a good latex painter's caulk. Painter's caulk will shrink as it dries so a second and third application may be necessary. You really don't want to use anything that dries hard and then requires sanding, i.e. spackle, rock putty, wood filler, etc. Painter's caulk, once smoothed in with a damp finger dries to a nice smooth even finish and is 100% paintable.

#6 ·
My actual hesitation in not recommending that a small strip of molding be added is that it would no doubt converge and diverge as it runs along the length of the staircase, depending upon how far away the original molding is from the staircase at any given point. The lack of parallel lines may make it more noticeable than several good neat applications of caulk would. Just thinking outside the box a bit. All good ideas though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.