Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baffled by Strange Discovery on Wall

It was very difficult to get a decent pic of what I discovered on my wall. Hopefully you can make it out. The etchings (actually the paint is raised) run about 1.5' long by about 1.5" wide.

What could have suddenly caused this?

Here are additional facts.

1. The wall is an outside wall.
2. There is a stud directly behind markings on the wall.
3. This is new construction (completed this summer).
4. Markings appeared this week.
5. Markings do not run the entire length of wall, only about 1.5'.

Here are other clues:

1. This may have occurred at the same time as another strange happening in this room. I cannot say fur sure it happened at the same time. We noticed these markings a couple days after the below incident. It may have happened simultaneously, but cannot say for sure.

2. Directly behind this toilet, there is an outlet that suddenly went bad. I replaced it yesterday and all is fine with it now.

3. The outlet may have gone bad during a recent storm when power went on and off in the house three times in a bout a 45 second period.

4. Plugged into this outlet is a bidet. During the power drops, the bidet started making funny noises. Kind of like a a motor was grinding. Once the noise stopped, the outlet was shot. The bidet works fine when plugged into the new outlet (or another one via extension cord).

5. This outlet cannot be seen in the pic, but it is about a foot below where the markings stop.

6. The wall is still flat (i.e. - it is not as if the stud has buckled and pushed through the drywall or something.

7. I could be wrong but it does not appear to be water damage.

8. There are no cracks in the drywall/spackling to be found.

9. My claims she is 100% positive these markings are new. Despite the pic,
they are hard to see unless you shine a light on the wall (as the camera
flash did). I only saw it when using a flashlight to work on the outlet
yesterday. In my mind, it is possible (although unlikely) they were always there.

Could aliens have caused this?
Attached Thumbnails
Baffled by Strange Discovery on Wall-wall-mark.jpg  

Last edited by ivanl3; 12-05-2010 at 12:02 PM.
ivanl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Woodtick

Rewards Points: 25

That looks like a paint sag caused by saturation of the rock from the back side. Where are the water supplies for the toilet and bidet? Wall or floor?
When you replaced the outlet there was no sign of moisture or a scent of scorched electric? Scorched wood?
Is it a slab or can you get under the floor and look for signs of a water leak?
Outlets dont go bad unless there is a problem (such as excessive moisture). If there's a deeper problem that you did not catch you could end up with a fire instead of just a noisy bidet.
You should consider re-posting this to the electrical forum.
Then again it could just be aliens. They probably never seen a bidet before.

ccnvchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 574

I agree with CCNV. I think its moisture related. Not necessarily water spray, though. You say it is an outside wall. If that area (behind the drywall) is at all open to the outdoors, outside moisture can get into the drywall. Is it more visible if you have a few days of rainy weather ?

Last edited by SPS-1; 12-05-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: re-worded
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnvchris View Post
That looks like a paint sag caused by saturation of the rock from the back side. Where are the water supplies for the toilet and bidet? Wall or floor?
When you replaced the outlet there was no sign of moisture or a scent of scorched electric? Scorched wood?
Is it a slab or can you get under the floor and look for signs of a water leak?
Outlets dont go bad unless there is a problem (such as excessive moisture). If there's a deeper problem that you did not catch you could end up with a fire instead of just a noisy bidet.
You should consider re-posting this to the electrical forum.
I now tend to agree. This all happened during a torrential rain storm (sheets of horizontal rain). I believe water got into that wall (I have T-111 siding). I need to get the contractor back out here to find and correct the leak (that should be fun).

There is no plumbing in that wall; it is all in the floor. If we get another storm before he fixes the problem, I will kill the breaker that controls that outlet.

This only ever happened one time, but this was by far the worst storm we had since this bathroom (and outside wall was built). And it was horizontal rain. I am guessing the water had to get in between the seems on the T-111 (or somewhere on the top, but my guess is the seams). Thoughts on how he is going to be able to correct this situation?

Last edited by ivanl3; 12-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

Can you post a picture of the other side of the wall?
One standing back enough so we can see from foundation to roof.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Mod

I will add you really need to get the contractor back out there ASAP to take care of this before it gets out of hand. Simply caulking something on the outside won’t due either. If the paint is bubbling then the insulation is surely soaking wet which can lead to mold issues and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #7

Mystery solved. The leak was not through the T1-11. There is an exhaust pipe on the roof above the commode room. This where the leak was occurring and is easily corrected. I am surprised that it took this long for the problem to manifest itself though. I hope there is no rotting in the walls/roof from previous leaks that are unseen.

This makes a lot more sense. For that rain to have gotten though the T1-11, the Tyvek, the insulation and the drywall seemed impossible.

Last edited by ivanl3; 12-05-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanl3 View Post
Mystery solved. The leak was not through the T1-11. There is an exhaust pipe on the roof above the commode room. This where the leak was occurring and is easily corrected. I am surprised that it took this long for the problem to manifest itself though. I hope there is no rotting in the walls/roof from previous leaks that are unseen.

This makes a lot more sense. For that rain to have gotten though the T1-11, the Tyvek, the insulation and the drywall seemed impossible.
Pretty odd for a plumbing vent leak to show up toward the bottom of a outside wall.
Pretty easy for water to get behind T-111, Tyvek, sheathing, and insulation if the smallest siding detail was missed.

Glad you got it figured out though.