Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Bad water taste

To start I don't know where to post this, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong area.

Our water in this area is horrible and barely drinkable. Since I can remember it's been this bad. I live in South Africa, and English is not my first language, so I'm not 100% sure what the English word for it is, but a great example of what is wrong with out water (apart from it tasting like crap) is that when I boil the kettle it forms a white layer inside. It forms a noticable white layer even after the first boil of a new kettle. If I use one of those "Clean your kettle" solutions, it works like a charm, but then as soon as I boil the kettle again its back and gets progressively worse each time I boil it. I don't have a lot of money to spend on top of the range filter systems, so I bought a tap filter, hoping that it would help somewhat. It hardly helps. When I pour the water into my cup of coffee after boiling it I get white floaty bits in my cup...

If anyone has any idea what this is called, please let me know and also if anyone has any ideas on how to rectify this without having to spend $100's please let me know. I'm getting quite sick of having white floaty bits in my expensive coffee.

Dave

dubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
electrical contractor

Bad water taste

Dave, I know nothing about the water in South Africa, but the white stuff you describe in the kettle sounds like either lime or calcium. As to what to do about it, buy bottled water. I do not know of an inexpensive filter that will remove these things from your water. Does the tap filter you bought do any good? You might try a cartridge filter on incoming water line with activated charcoal in it, but I dont know if it will help.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #3

Bad water taste

Dubby, there are several inexpensive simple in-line water filters that will specifically remove calcium and lime, chlorine and odor, or sediment, minerals, etc. You might want to look on-line at ACE Hardware's site to see a few examples. www.acehardware.com. They range from straight in-line where plastic tubing is interrupted to more permanent housings with replaceable filter cartridges. Here in Arizona, calcium, lime, chlorine and odor are a continual nuisance and many of the filters I've recommended have solved the problem for customer's drinking water without the need to buy and install a reverse osmosis system or water softener system.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

Bad water taste

Your local water utility should provide at least an annual water quality report. Mine is available online. It won't fix the problem, but it might give you some information that would be interesting.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #5

Bad water taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Your local water utility should provide at least an annual water quality report. Mine is available online. It won't fix the problem, but it might give you some information that would be interesting.

mmm, in our dreams here in South Africa! Not a chance in ..uhm... that very warm place ... they'll ever produce a water quality report, let alone a yearly report. The advice you gave about what it could be sounds about right, sounds familiar. I'm busy surfing AceHardware.com to see if I can find out anything that could help me. Bottled water might be the way, but wow that might just work out more expensive! Just out of curiousity, should a water softener fix something like this? I definitely cannot afford putting one of those in, but just curious.

Any other advice or tips would GREATLY be appreciated. Thanks for the advice so far, hopefully an inline filter will do the trick...

OH! This is the filter I have: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

It doesn't really do MUCH for the lime/calcium bits. Activated carbon, this is a dumb question, but it would say whether it uses active carbon if it does right?

d

Last edited by dubby; 02-28-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Found a link I wanted to add.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Woodworker and Contractor

Bad water taste

this should fix it

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...R25&lpage=none
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

Bad water taste

It sounds like you need a water conditioning system, not a filter. These minerals are in solution, so they are probably not filterable. One of my customers in upstate, NY who is on well water, has a Culligan system to condition the water as it enters the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #8

Bad water taste

Dubby, here's one at ACE. There are many such in-line filters out there that you can install quickly and at very little cost. This particular one is good for 4,000 gallons.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1275795
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Bad water taste

Dubby - one last comment (from me at least) - I dislike the taste of softened water. Many people love it. Find out if any of your friends or neighbors have a system and taste it. You don't want to pay for a system and still not like how your water tastes.

I grew up with highly chlorinated water so when I moved to an area with no chlorination I thought the water tasted bad. My Grandmother has really sulfury water, she thinks water that doesn't smell like rotten eggs tastes bad.

I guess you like what you like.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Bad water taste

Thank you! :D

I'm gonna try and look for that Culligan filter here in SA, if I can't find it, at least I know where to start. I can maybe order online from ACE. Thanks alot :D Really appreciate everyone's help.