Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Bad Phone Wiring from Phone Room to Condo

Mom lives in a condo complex built in 2001. Bad contractor. Many issues over the years. Luckily my Mom has been spared most of it until now. From what we can see: Wiring is bad between phone room on bottom floor and her unit on second floor. 4 pair I/O wire per condo unit is ran to PVC conduit that disappears in the ceiling of the phone room. One of the 4 pairs was rolled between the entry jack(bedroom) to the kitchen, and her next door neighbor has active phone line on that pair. Neighbor is uncooperative in letting us in.(too long of a story, but it is cultural). Over the years we have gone through the 3 available pairs, even splitting them (T/R) to "make" good pairs. We cannot see any junction box or ceiling access in common areas. Building plans not available per City planner.
Thought about trying to fish new I/O with fiber fish tape but really concerned of damaging the other units I/O. There are 2 conduits, looks like one is for East side and one is for West side units (as opposed to one is for 2nd floor and one is for 3rd floor). Covered shared parking/phoneroom/trash/elevator room are on the 1st floor. 2nd & 3rd floors are condo units. Looks like others have had similar issues based on stripped pairs folded over various I/O for other units. Even the elevator phone I/O was rerouted to a separate conduit that is now going from phone room to elevator room on a metal external conduit mounted to the garage ceiling. Any suggestions? Home Owners Association and Management company is just saying it is owners problem. Mom has one of those fall detection PERS units that works off of landline. Ordered a wireless PERS unit but they don't have fall detection, yet. Sorry for the long post.

OldPhoneLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

If the phone wiring is bad, and needs replaced, when the telephone company contractor or employee shows up, they will decide to pull a new run, or attempt to use a good pair, if more than two pairs on that run, from the phone room to the condo unit.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Not calling the phone co as we already isolated it at the dmarc in the phone room and it is not their wiring that is bad. The Fios techs that they would send are not trained in pulling copper I/O from a MDU ONT. even if we paid them to do it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPhoneLady View Post
Thanks for the reply. Not calling the phone co as we already isolated it at the dmarc in the phone room and it is not their wiring that is bad. The Fios techs that they would send are not trained in pulling copper I/O from a MDU ONT. even if we paid them to do it.
You cannot just pull new wiring and think you have the problem solved. You pay the telephone company to do this work, out of your bill. That means what you pay out of your bill, a certain percentage goes to helping to maintain the outside infrastructure, up to the MDU at the building.

As for Condo's, the telephone company also maintains that infrastructure. Without the training or knowledge how to do this work, you cannot just start pulling wires from the MDU or telephone room, to the condo unit in question, due to if you screw something up, the telephone company is going to charge the person that did the damages.

Why is it so hard to call the telephone company and tell them that there is no working line from the telephone room or MDU, to the Condo? Do yourself a favor and call them. They have the manpower, materials, tools, testing equipment to do the job quicker than you can.

If you end up screwing things up, by cutting the wrong line to the wrong condo, it is going to cost you way more than you realize, to have the telephone company fix that mess. That is one bill you will not like.

BTW, the Verizon techs are trained on how Copper wiring is done, just like they are trained to do Fiber Optic termination to the ONT. I do not know where you got it that just because VZ uses a new technology to deliver phone service to a residence, commercial structure, that all of a sudden, what has been taught for over a hundred years, went out the window.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #5