Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

backsplash 1/2 laminate 1/2 bare wall

So, I am going to tile my backsplash with subway tile. I have read, read and read the discussions but still need help with 1 problem. Above the counters the builder glued laminate to the wall! but behind the sink he left it bare. So, if laminate on the left; bare wall; laminate to the right. Any ideas on how I can get this level with out ripping out the laminate and sanding??? Help! Ready to tile after I finish painting the cabinets; which by the way are looking awesome. White laminate finish; using zinser to "sand" and it's working beautifully. Painting a light charcoal. White subway tile backsplash and stainless appliances will finish it off.......Anyhow, any suggestions or directions? Thanks!
ka8byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #2

How big is the offset? A tradtional backsplash is 3/4" plus the laminate. Evening that off might mean filling in the recessed area.
Removing the backsplash might be the way to go depending on how it's attached to the counter and wall. Cheap installations just have the backsplash glued to the wall and maybe caulked to the counter. Others are nailed or screwed.
Look under the counter in the sink area to see if you can discern how it's attached.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

Thank you Ron. The part that is laminate is glued down very well!! My worry is that when I take it off to level with the other bare wall is that I am going to take some of the wall underneath it with me! So, I'm thinking perhaps of just filling in the bare wall space with laminate so that it becomes a level playing field. Thoughts?
ka8byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

It would really help if you answer the question I asked. Solutions are based on the existing situation. Which you haven't told us yet.
Is the laminate glued directly to the wall or a substrate other then the wall.
Tiling directly to a smooth surface like laminate wouldn't be my choice.

Ron
Old 10-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
How big is the offset? A tradtional backsplash is 3/4" plus the laminate. Evening that off might mean filling in the recessed area.
Removing the backsplash might be the way to go depending on how it's attached to the counter and wall. Cheap installations just have the backsplash glued to the wall and maybe caulked to the counter. Others are nailed or screwed.
Look under the counter in the sink area to see if you can discern how it's attached.
Ron
His description sounds to me like he doesn't have the typical 4" high built out splash that you are trying to clarify. My vision is that someone glued laminate to the wall from base cabinets to bottom of upper cabinets, then butted the countertop to it. If this is the case; with sheet laminate glued to drywall substrate; I don't even see the necessity of filling in the unlaminated area, as he is going to be using a notched trowel for the mastic anyway, and I doubt if the 1/32" thickness matters. I would not have concerns about glueing to the laminate,which he says is well adhered, as long as it has been sufficiently scratched up with a heavy grit grinding pad.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
His description sounds to me like he doesn't have the typical 4" high built out splash that you are trying to clarify. My vision is that someone glued laminate to the wall from base cabinets to bottom of upper cabinets, then butted the countertop to it. If this is the case; with sheet laminate glued to drywall substrate; I don't even see the necessity of filling in the unlaminated area, as he is going to be using a notched trowel for the mastic anyway, and I doubt if the 1/32" thickness matters. I would not have concerns about glueing to the laminate,which he says is well adhered, as long as it has been sufficiently scratched up with a heavy grit grinding pad.
Getting a simple answer should not be this hard. If an issue needs to be clarified for useful advice, then provide it. I see no reason to go through a myriad of scenarios because the poster can't get to the point.
Ron
Old 10-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #7

How thick is your laminate?
Polywanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polywanna View Post
How thick is your laminate?
The laminate thickness is irrelevant.
Ron
Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Getting a simple answer should not be this hard. If an issue needs to be clarified for useful advice, then provide it. I see no reason to go through a myriad of scenarios because the poster can't get to the point.
Ron
That may be true, but I find that often the lack of descriptive clarity is because many HO do not exactly know the names of things by the same names that are commonly used in the trade. I think the word "backsplash" in this post is a perfect example. I would normally refer to the typical counter top as one with a 4" or 6" splash vs a full height backsplash. Even in the trades, there is much ambuguity in the commonly used terminolgy for many of the same parts of a structure, depending on the region of the country you are in. I don't mind asking for clarifiiction in most posts, but I do feeel your frustration many times when the post is totally incoherent.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backsplash, laminate, leveling, subway, tile