Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic stairs

Hello,
I am hoping to get some advise on my next project. I am going to remove the existing fold down wood stairs to my attic and was thinking of installing aluminum stairs in it's place. I have a few questions for anyone who might have had experience with them. My first question is with getting the wood ones out of there. My concern is those springs. If I stay in the attic, when I close the door will I be able to easily unhook the springs? Also, are the aluminum stairs heavier than the wood? If I put 2 pieces of wood across the hole to set it on, do you think I could lift it up myself? ( I am 5ft 9in 165lbs) Also the cutting of the stairs to the proper length, any advise would be very much appreciated, Thanks RC

roundcorners99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Attic stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundcorners99 View Post
Hello,
I am hoping to get some advise on my next project. I am going to remove the existing fold down wood stairs to my attic and was thinking of installing aluminum stairs in it's place. I have a few questions for anyone who might have had experience with them. My first question is with getting the wood ones out of there. My concern is those springs. If I stay in the attic, when I close the door will I be able to easily unhook the springs? Also, are the aluminum stairs heavier than the wood? If I put 2 pieces of wood across the hole to set it on, do you think I could lift it up myself? ( I am 5ft 9in 165lbs) Also the cutting of the stairs to the proper length, any advise would be very much appreciated, Thanks RC
You would put them up the same way. Removing them would be the reverse.
The weights of the staire cases are listed on the boxes. Look at them and decide if you need assistance.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote