Attic Access RO - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
ane

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Access RO

In pictures of new attic ladders I see them enclosed in a wood frame. Is this a part of the ladder? In other words, do I ignore the frame that is currently in my attic access when I measure for rough opening? Thank you.

Advertisement

ane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Attic Access RO

I had to reframe my attic opening when i installed my stairs as the current opening was much smaller. the instructions with the stairs should tell you what the opening frame size needs to be.

I don't know if that answered your question but thought it may help.

Advertisement

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Attic Access RO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ane View Post
In pictures of new attic ladders I see them enclosed in a wood frame. Is this a part of the ladder? In other words, do I ignore the frame that is currently in my attic access when I measure for rough opening? Thank you.
Yes the frame is part of the assembly. Typical RO for the majority of residential stairs if 25 1/2" x 54", but it is best to either purchase or at least know what you are going to purchase, and verify before modifying the existing framing, as the are many options for stairs that vary from this ,such as narrower units made to fit between 24" truss spacing, short units that only require 48" openings, oversize heavy duty units that are bigger, etc.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote