Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #1

Share |

Attempting to be a good DIY Chatroom member

I truly appreciate the helpful information received on DIY Chatroom yet over time the several instances of belittlement and mockery by the "good ol' boys" has worn a bit thin. So for you fellas have a good laugh on me.

I'm on this site for real honest to goodness help. You don't know it but those in the know here are my "feet on the ground". My first hand view at the lumber yard. My conversations with honest to gosh knowledable trade people. The folks I can turn to without fear of being swindled. The good joes who help me and the wife keep our beloved home in great shape. I need you to be all of these people since I am home bound due to Epilepsy (Complex Partial Seziure Disorder). If that isn't fun enought I also am saddled with degrading cognitive ability, increasing memory loss, constant weakness and other miscellance maladies. Not to mention I can no longer drive or write by hand. On the bright side I have just about defeated non-military related PTSD and my meds keep me pretty stable.

Wasn't always this way. Very proud to say I served my country in the USAF & Army from 1972 - 1992. Served all over the world. Married one hell of a good woman who bore me two great children who are now successful married adults. Put myself through college. After retiring from the military I worked for 13 years for two fine corporations. Again worked all around this big blue marble. Then while at work one of my co-senior project managers told me I looked like I didn't feel good. That was the beginning of a long fall to being a man who had the rug pulled out from under his feet.

With God's grace, a loving caring wife, family, friends plus a slew of medical professionals I'm still here. Ready to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary and 60th birthday. Each and every day I am blessed. Now, don't get me wrong. I live by the code of "just when I think that I have it bad" all I have to do is to look around to see so many others with greater needs. I am one of the lucky ones.

Take note you good ol' boys! I will not give up, to stubborn for that. You lot are not going to keep me down or drive me away from such, at it's core, is a very good site.

Hope you enjoyed your laugh.

Last edited by sore thumb; 07-03-2013 at 12:45 AM.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sore thumb For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-03-2013), chrisn (07-03-2013), FClef (07-03-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-03-2013), oh'mike (07-03-2013), old_squid (07-14-2013), Pro Painter (07-13-2013), r0ckstarr (07-06-2013), TheEplumber (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
DIY staff

Well said, You are a good, tough man.

sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Glad you are sticking around and congrats on the family, wife, and success.

Don't worry about some of the snickers. All the guys on here are solid folks but we can all get a bit picky from time to time.

Keep posting and contributing when you can.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-03-2013), kwikfishron (07-03-2013), oh'mike (07-03-2013), r0ckstarr (07-06-2013), sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Of all the different forums out there on the internet that I have visited I have drawn the conclusion that while they may range widely on topic matter they all share a cast of similar participants. Blowhards and bullies are easy enough to ignore once you decide to.
sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

You left out those that are thinned skinned and the Snake Oil salesmen that we see every now and then Polecat.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

And just what is wrong with my snake oil? I squeeze it myself and offer it at below market prices.
sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
STAFF

ST, we are glad you are going to stick around, it is folks like you who make up the good part of the forums. There is always a few who seem to be mad at the world and aren't happy unless they can bring others down to their level. Then there are those chest pounders who think they know it all and never grew up.

We can't read all the threads, but when we see the folks who we know are usually the ones who just love to stir the pot, we will pop in to see how things are going. If there are some giving a person grief, we want to know about it, just make a report or PM one of us mods, we want the playing field to be level for all.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Of all the different forums out there on the internet that I have visited I have drawn the conclusion that while they may range widely on topic matter they all share a cast of similar participants. Blowhards and bullies are easy enough to ignore once you decide to.
Yeah Sore... You brought that point forward very poignantly... Other's have tried... not nearly as sucessfully. Thank You from I'm certain many.

Polecat... does bring up a good point. You'll learn quick who wants to help and who has what skills.

But Polecat, while you're right to just accept that fact and ignore them, ya gotta admit that it is sometimes just fun to goof with them.

Best to ya Sore.... Stay tough bubbi.

Best

Peter
sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore thumb View Post
Very proud to say I served my country in the USAF & Army from 1972 - 1992. Served all over the world.
THANK YOU!!!!
Quote:
Ready to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary and 60th birthday.
Happy anniversary & Happy Birthday!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-03-2013), sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #10

First off, I want to thank you for your service. Second, I want to thank you for your honesty. Third, congratulations and Happy Birthday.

You get a few hundred people in a room and not everyone will get along. That is just the way it is. Take those same people along with the anonymity of the Internet and even less will get along with each other. I've moderated message boards for about a dozen different sites and I have seen far worse things said to people than I ever thought possible. Even people that get along fine still have differences of opinion from time to time. As long as it doesn't digress into name calling and mindless bickering over a point that has been made over and over again, I look at it as being a natural thing. It is just human nature.

Communication by text is very difficult because it is so easy to misunderstand intent. Someone could say "I hate you" and mean just that or someone could say "I hate you" because you just got a new car and they drive a roller-skate with an engine. Both said the same thing but one was harmful and the other one was playful. Context means a lot, but misunderstandings happen anyway.

Some of the exchanges here get a bit heated, but most all of us can agree that they rarely if ever degenerate into 2nd grade name calling and insults. Ask a question requiring an opinion and you will get different opinions from almost everyone. Facts however remain constant and when dealing with factual information the opinions are normally unanimous with rare exceptions. Most people don't argue facts, it is the opinions they debate.

I'll remove the soapbox I am on and finish with this. You sound like a very brave individual who has fought bravely to overcome a great deal. You have my respect good Sir.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FClef For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (07-03-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

Well said! Some of my favorite posters on various forums were driven off by idiots!!!!! Are they "thin skinned" or do they have enough self esteem to not tolerate abuse? JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjrbus For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-11-2013), sore thumb (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus
Well said! Some of my favorite posters on various forums were driven off by idiots!!!!! Are they "thin skinned" or do they have enough self esteem to not tolerate abuse? JIm
There should not be any abuse on any forum, or harrasement by anyone. We have a couple on here that continue being children and do not get it when prople tell them to stop with their activities.

I have one in particular that I have personally told them to cease and decist multiple time, but they continue bullying, belittling and the mod's have done nothing about it.

Too much favortism on here and another forum that I regularly visit, that the mod's would rather allow the bullies to run the board, than do something about it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (07-14-2013), jjrbus (07-09-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-11-2013), RWolff (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #13

Retired military myself (Navy and Air Force, Vietnam era). Thank you for your service. I cannot pretend to understand what you're going through now, but pray that all will go well.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Retired military myself (Navy and Air Force, Vietnam era). Thank you for your service. I cannot pretend to understand what you're going through now, but pray that all will go well.
Thank you brother.
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #15

You are most welcome, sir.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote