Attaching Fence Post To House - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attaching Fence Post to house

I'm new to the forum so I apologize for any stupid questions in advance. I'm trying to build a fence between one corner of my house to the other corner of the detached garage. The space is about 58" across. I know I have to put in some posts to hang the door off of but the area is all concrete. I don't want to break the concrete so I was wondering if I can bolt the post to the the house and garage. I don't know if will do any damage to the house of if it will be enough support for the door. I've attached some pictures of the opening as well as the corner of the house and garage.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance.
Attached Images

Advertisement

ttsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

I don't see why not. Are you sure it's concrete and not stucco over wood framing?
If it's concrete, Tapcons should hold.
Either way, you may be able to hang the gate off the wall, without a post, if you'd like.

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
I don't see why not. Are you sure it's concrete and not stucco over wood framing?
If it's concrete, Tapcons should hold.
Either way, you may be able to hang the gate off the wall, without a post, if you'd like.
It is stucco on the house. I meant I was hoping I didn't have to break the concrete on the ground to dig a hole for the post. Didn't realize that I can hang a gate off the house. What kind of bolts or fastners would I need to attach to the house and how would I find the studs underneath the stucco? Also if I drilled into the stucco would I need some kind of sealer to prevent moisture from getting in? Thanks.
ttsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,256

Attach something solid to the wall...
then attach the fence to *that*
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would find the studs, bore a recess in 2x4 stock, drill and run 1/2" lag bolts with washers into the studs. That will provide the structure for both the latch and hinge side of your gate. It will be a wide gate so x-frame and and or install a turnbuckle system so you can tighten it up. I would put a wheel on the swinging end.

You should have framing members at the edges of the house and garage or whatever I am seeing so shouldn't have to search for studs.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote