Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

Asphalt Driveway Cold Patch and Sealing

I'm waiting for a few nice days in a row to fill in the cracks in my driveway and seal it. The asphalt has settled about 1/2" to 1" in front of the garage and I was planning on placing some cold patch.

1) There's also a depression (about 16" in diameter) in the middle of the driveway about 1" to 2" deep. Can I use cold patch to fill the depression? or will it look terrible after? I live in Ontario, Canada, how would this hold up in the winter with shoveling?

2) Can I also fill in a part of the gutter/curb between my driveway and the road? or does the City not allow this?

3) I've also heard that a broom may be better than a roller for applying the sealant. any suggestions?

Thanks!

DIYguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

No expert on that stuff, have used it a few times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not stick well. It always looks like a patch. Applying sealer works well with a brush or squeagee. Rollers don't really work as well.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #3

I dont reccomend cold patch for a permanent fix for the summer it may work but coldpatch dosent like water it probably wont last you too long. I am a union excavator and work with it alot and it all depends on how well you tamper it, shoveling it may pull it up. If you have to use it go to the asphalt plant near you and get the stuff made there instead of the bagged that you buy in store...
Blazepet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #4

Hi,

1)yes, you can use Cold Patch to fill depression and it wont look terrible.It may hold for your long time so need to worry .

2)No, I don't think city would allow you to Block that gutter.

3)ya ...me too think so but i am not sure :):)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy2000 View Post
I'm waiting for a few nice days in a row to fill in the cracks in my driveway and seal it. The asphalt has settled about 1/2" to 1" in front of the garage and I was planning on placing some cold patch.

1) There's also a depression (about 16" in diameter) in the middle of the driveway about 1" to 2" deep. Can I use cold patch to fill the depression? or will it look terrible after? I live in Ontario, Canada, how would this hold up in the winter with shoveling?

2) Can I also fill in a part of the gutter/curb between my driveway and the road? or does the City not allow this?

3) I've also heard that a broom may be better than a roller for applying the sealant. any suggestions?

Thanks!
Gloriaray is offline   Reply With Quote