Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Cruising into the sunset

Share |

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

Has anyone ever used Aspect backsplash tiles?

These are 3" x 6" steel tiles that come in 4 colors and brushed either short grain or long grain. We're looking for something different for behind the cooktop other than sheet stainless.

Of course, the video looks so easy "even a woman can do it" but I was wondering what real life experiences have been with it. While it looks great, I have no idea how durable it is, how deep the joints are (for cleaning) or how pleased actual owners are.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

I have never used them but your right it is a great look. I would also ask how they are grouted. Is it just regular grout or some thing special.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

we looked at those when we were shopping for our kitchen but went with a stainless basket weave mosaic that my wife liked better.
Attached Thumbnails
Aspect Backsplash Tiles-p1060078.jpg  
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

JulieMor: My wife did our backsplash in those exact tiles. They are quite expensive, around $10 per square foot. They are self-adhesive and very easy to install. She cut them with a miter saw. The edges just butt together so there is no grout used.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Cruising into the sunset

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
JulieMor: My wife did our backsplash in those exact tiles. They are quite expensive, around $10 per square foot. They are self-adhesive and very easy to install. She cut them with a miter saw. The edges just butt together so there is no grout used.
The best price I can find is about $18/Sq.Ft. on 14 Sq.Ft. packages. We only have about that much to do but we wanted to mix up stainless steel and champagne. The package is only stainless. HD has them for a bit under $20 per Sq.Ft.

Where did you get them for $10?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

I have seen this type of product at Menards recently. There is a large amount of shelf space devoted for a display. It was near the paint department. The price point seemed very high and it will be interesting to see if homeowners buy this product.
wwkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

I must have misspoken. We got our tiles at Home Depot. That was four years ago so I guess I just forgot how expensive they were.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #8

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

Both of those look great in my opinion. I'm preparing to do my countertops and backsplash in April. Where did you find those? Link? The only thing the local HD and Lowes has are either plastic panels that snap together, or glass tiles.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Cruising into the sunset

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

The Aspect tiles can be purchased online at http://backsplashideas.com/ for about $20 sq/ft. If you only want stainless steel and are okay buying 14 sq/ft lots, you can get them at overstock.com for a bit less.

I think I also saw them on eBay and maybe a couple other places. Do a Google search and maybe you'll find a really good deal.

UPDATE!!!

I just found them at Menards for $13.19 sq/ft. On sale until 3/3. That's over $5.00 less than Overstock's lot price. And with HD's price match, less 10%, that takes it to $11.87. Time to go shopping!

Last edited by JulieMor; 02-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #10

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

Thank you!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Jack of all Trades

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

Anyone try a tile shop? Not all tile shops are outrageously priced and many have better quality products than the box stores. Just my .02! I'm usually one to grab something from the box stores when I am doing a quick project but if your spending that kind of money ($18/sq) that's some serious dough and you'd probably find something in the same price range/better quality.

Noooo i don't work for a tile shop, I'm just a contractor. Looks cool though. Good luck!
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Cruising into the sunset

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

We stopped by HD tonight to get some other stuff and looked at the Aspect tiles. They really look easy to clean and look as sharp as they do on their website. I've been looking for at least two years at tile shops and big box stores but nothing clicked with me. This product really does. We were too tired to decide how we want the pattern to go, so I'll head back there by Sunday to buy them.

FWIW, the sales people there said they have yet to get a complaint from anyone who purchased these (they would if they knew what Menard's was selling them for!) and they sell a lot of them. HD's website showed they only have two types but there was four different types when we went there.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Cruising into the sunset

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

I went to HD today and first checked with the Customer Service department about their match less 10% policy. He asked me exactly what product I was referring to. I showed him the printout from Menards and he asked, "Do we have this in stock? Yes. "Then all you have to do is show this to the cashier when you checkout. We do it all the time." I smiled.

Within the cabinet, appliances, etc area, there's a small stand with the Aspect tiles. We had figured a 3 to 1 ratio with long grained stainless being the "3" and short grained champagne being the "1". We needed 35 sq ft to do everything. (At HD prices, that's almost $700.00) With the 3-1 ratio, that means I needed 27 boxes of LONG STAINLESS and 9 boxes of SHORT CHAMPAGNE. They only had 26 stainless. I took them all.

When I go to checkout, I tell the cashier, who knows me, that I have a price match item. (This is the first time I've done this.) She seems unfazed. She goes through the items and tries to complete the transaction and suddenly the cash register blocks her. MANAGER APPROVAL. I see it on the screen.

She calls a young guy over and asks him to approve it. He starts pushing icons on the screen then walks away. I think we're done. Then the cashier calls him back.

There's a problem.

He comes back, acting frustrated, like it didn't work and he'd have to do it over again. Then he looks at the discount and freaks out! "What's this? This doesn't make sense. How can this be right?"

I told him with the price match savings, the boxes that normally cost almost $20 would be a bit less then $12. He looked confused. "I need to call Rick," he says, (or whatever the superior's name was) and he walked away to a phone.

He returned, still frustrated, and punched a lot of icons on the computer screen and asked me to swipe my card. "Oh, I'm sorry, I see you already did that." Then up came the screen for me to sign on that piece of plastic that has now replaced our actual signatures, like in ink. I'm actually getting that image close to my real signature, I kid myself.

Then I walk out, knowing I just paid about 60% of MSRP, and few stores deviate from MSRP, unless you buy in bulk, then they cut about a dollar off. Whoopee...

Anyway, I got them home and told the SO the story. Then we played around with designs until we realized we needed more champagne tiles that were of the LONG version and maybe even some stainless that were of the SHORT version. So we'll go back tomorrow and get the same deal. Whatever we don't use, HD will take them back and sell them, for a nice profit.

I kind of like feel like Cinderella.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #14

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

Nice work! It definately pays to shop around! Post pics when you've got them all up and finished.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Cruising into the sunset

Aspect Backsplash Tiles

I was in Home Depot the other day. They still haven't restocked the Aspect display. The section I cleaned out is still empty. I wonder if they are phasing them out? The price is still the same though, almost $20/sq ft.