Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Asbestos tape

I own a 1930 home that was completely renovated. They left the old heating registers in place for show. In the basement all the old heating ducts were removed except about 2 feet. Those two feet are wrapped in asbestos tape. There are about five ducts In place and they tape is in good condition for the most part. I had an abatement company look at it and said it has to come out, cost is about 3000. I then had an independent contractor look at it and he did air and bulk samples for cheap. He said to leave it alone and just paint over it. Any thoughts?

paznole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paznole For This Useful Post:
Admin (06-24-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Asbestos tape

Just go get the mastic and coat the joints, or wet down with a mix of water Glycerin, couple drops of dish soap. Spray on until soaked, removed with gloved hands into a bag, spray again, then wipe with paper towels, throw those in the bag.

After done, place in another Nd dispose as normal trash. There is probably not enough to really reason why the company wanted to charge the high price, which most of that price they gave you, is setup and teardown for maybe 15 minutes of work.

When we took down our old duct work, honestly I just took the tape off by hand, since majority just peeled off with no residue. Any that would not come off, I used the above mix.

No gloves or mask, since there was not enough to cause me any alarm, since I have been around worse, and with the old tape, once it starts drying out, majority of the asbestos fibers are pretty much gone by now.

It is the steam pipe wraps that really are te worse culprits, since they have a higher percentage of asbestos in them, than that little amount of leftover tape on the joints.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Admin (06-24-2013), RWolff (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Asbestos tape

It is asbestos fibers going airborne that pose a health risk due to well documented lung diseases and related cancers. Most afflicted worked in asbestos plants or other places where the particles tended to get in the air.

Generally, if you can encapsulate or otherwise seal it, nobody squalks too much. I do believe if you no it is present in the home, as with lead, you have to disclose it though and this can cause problems.

I worked for a University that built an advanced wind tunnel in a building were all the structure had been sprayed with an asbestos slurry at some point. The thing was expected to "rattle the rafters" a bit. It was determined the best way to deal with it was not to remove the asbestos but to encapsulate it in place.

It is only going to get more expensive and more restrictive to remove and abate such things though so if you can, you might as well get rid of it I guess. Just make sure you wear disposable tyvek clothing and for sure wear a mask.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

Asbestos tape

If you DIY this, dumping it in the trash is a bad idea. Even double bagged, you have no idea who may come in contact with it in the future. Asbestos goes in specially marked bags and to EPA certified land fills.
RWolff (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

Asbestos tape

Honestly I don't want to do to take it off myself. I would rather do containment by taping or painting. If I need to remove it I will hire somebody. I just don't want to create a problem that isn't an issue. I may be making more to this than what really is.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Asbestos tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by paznole View Post
Honestly I don't want to do to take it off myself. I would rather do containment by taping or painting. If I need to remove it I will hire somebody. I just don't want to create a problem that isn't an issue. I may be making more to this than what really is.
If you do not want to do it yourself then I would hire someone. However, $3000 is a bit on the pricy side. Last year I got about 35 linear feet removed from my home for about $800 by a certified abatement company.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Asbestos tape

[QUOTE=paznole;1204557]Honestly I don't want to do to take it off myself. I would rather do containment by taping or painting. If I need to remove it I will hire somebody. I just don't want to create a problem that isn't an issue. I may be making more to this than what really is.[/QUOTE]

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Asbestos tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
If you DIY this, dumping it in the trash is a bad idea. Even double bagged, you have no idea who may come in contact with it in the future. Asbestos goes in specially marked bags and to EPA certified land fills.
Done hundreds of times. It is only when you have someplace that sorts the trash, and there is some way to identify who it came from, or someone blabs, then that is how most people get in trouble.

Then again hundreds of pounds of Batteries and CfLs are dumped in the daily trash every day. Have you heard of people getting in trouble for that.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

Asbestos tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Done hundreds of times. It is only when you have someplace that sorts the trash, and there is some way to identify who it came from, or someone blabs, then that is how most people get in trouble.

Then again hundreds of pounds of Batteries and CfLs are dumped in the daily trash every day. Have you heard of people getting in trouble for that.
It's not about getting people in trouble. It's about doing the right thing for the environment and for those that could possibly handle the trash. You have no way to know what will happen with any trash once it leaves the curb.

Our environment has been destroyed with that attitude. Just because someone else does it doesn't make it right.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Asbestos tape

No clue where you live since you skipped the part where it asked for your location, but send me a plane ticket and I'll do it for $1500.00.
If your trash goes to a landfill it's going to a lined pit that will never do anyone any harm for at least a couple hundred years.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Asbestos tape

Quote:
No you dont. You want to get rid of it now, because if you ever sell this house you will have to disclose this. Wear a good mask. wet it down as the others have said with glycol and water, wear gloves and get rid of it. BS on the landfill blurb. Just double bag it. I have gone through this so many times and taken the stuff to EPA "Certified" landfills, them watch the guys dump the stuff and a tracked machine tears up the bags, and the stuff all tumbles out. It is a money mill, created by the lawyers. We have one here that owns the Orioles, that's how he made all his money. Asbestos is a mineral fiber, and you are putting it back in the ground. As far as the older it gets the less hazard it is, that is BS. AB was used as a binder. When all the other stuff oxidizes, the AB is still there. When it becomes friable, then it is a problem, so get rid of it while the getting is good.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Asbestos tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
It's not about getting people in trouble. It's about doing the right thing for the environment and for those that could possibly handle the trash. You have no way to know what will happen with any trash once it leaves the curb.

Our environment has been destroyed with that attitude. Just because someone else does it doesn't make it right.
It along with all the other trash that is even worse for the environment goes to the same dump. Unless you live somewhere like LA or San Francisco/Oakland, then it is sorted and if any type that is classified as environmentally dangerous, gets sent to a EPA landfill.

Everything from Motor Oil, old gas, spray paint, batteries, CFL's, pretty much everything you are not supposed to be throwing in common trash, gets thrown in there all day long by millions of people.

Most gets sent overseas to other countries, from places like NYC or Jersey, because they do not have room anymore in their landfill.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Architectural Sculptor

Asbestos tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
I

The only thing is, asbestos came FROM the ground to begin with, it was not made up in a laboratory from some concoction, like lead and mercury it all comes out of the ground. Things like glass, styrofoam, plastics are NOT natural and never break down, those items certainly do destroy the environment, they even find this trash in the Antarctic area now.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Architectural Sculptor

Asbestos tape

Quote:

Seriously, $3000 is a RIPOFF, just coat/encapsulate/seal and leave it alone, don't sand, drill, cut into, or remove the stuff if it's not in a location where it's in the way.
See my post about asbestos:

Asbestos resources Pt 1
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #15

Asbestos tape

Rw- what should I use?