Arborite Lifting - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Arborite lifting

Hey guys, The laminate is lifting off the corner of my counter top(see pic) im just going to use some press tight to glue it back down but Its right beside the stove so there is crumbs and whatever else that managed to work itself in between.
Any tips on how to clean it out before gluing it?
I was thinking Break cleaner, I have used break cleaner for cleaning tones of other things, its great because it dries really fast and vaporizes a lot of debris along with it but if anyone has another trick Im open to suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Arborite lifting-counter-top.jpg  

Advertisement

P Marage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Arborite lifting

I would be more inclined to use compressed air, either from a compressor or maybe a can used for dusting computers.

Advertisement

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,238

Arborite lifting

A can of compressed air cleaner from the electronics department of Wally-World.

I fear the brake-clean will leave a residue that the adhesive will not stick to.

Also the proper way to do this is with laminate cement and a heat source like an Iron on a towel.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 636

Arborite lifting

Laminate glue? You mean contact cement?
The contact cement needs to be applied to both surfaces and allowed to dry.
Once the dry just press down on the sheet for an instant bond.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,238

Arborite lifting

I had a similar problem 35 years ago, hired a counter top laminate guy to repair it, He never said it was contact cement, just laminate cement, and a heating iron.

So it might have been contact cement, but he just brushed the stuff between the loose top and the substrate, and put a rag on it and heated it for about 90 seconds, then masking tape , and said remove the tape tomorrow. Got paid and left.

It stayed stuck until I sold and moved on.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,806

Arborite lifting

It is contact cement, but I always called it laminate glue also.

You might try using an iron and towel to heat the glue like de-nagorg suggested, it may or may not reactivate, sometimes it does, sometimes it don't. I would have a block of wood about 5X9 inches or so to lay on top of the top and hit the block a few times with the hammer. If there are any impurities that didn't come out, it will embed into the substrate, it also helps make the glue hold better.

By the way, you can get contact in a spray can now days, just raise the HPL up, spray, (not heavy) let sit (raised, not in contact) until it doesn't stick to your finger, but still tacky, about 20 minutes should be about right, press HPL in place and put the block on the HPL and hit with a hammer, not beat but hit.

If you can't find the contact in a spray can, get the brush on kind and be sure to stir it up. Not the water base glue, it is junk. Oh and clean up with lacquer thinner just don't get the lacquer on anything painted on with a finish on it. Open a window or ventilate, that stuff will make you drunk.

One more note, the glue is flammable so beware. Also once the glue is stuck you can place some heavy books over night to insure it stays stuck, heat and grease is usually what causes the HPL to turn loose.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Old School

Rewards Points: 75

Arborite lifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
It is contact cement, but I always called it laminate glue also.

You might try using an iron and towel to heat the glue like de-nagorg suggested, it may or may not reactivate, sometimes it does, sometimes it don't. I would have a block of wood about 5X9 inches or so to lay on top of the top and hit the block a few times with the hammer. If there are any impurities that didn't come out, it will embed into the substrate, it also helps make the glue hold better.

By the way, you can get contact in a spray can now days, just raise the HPL up, spray, (not heavy) let sit (raised, not in contact) until it doesn't stick to your finger, but still tacky, about 20 minutes should be about right, press HPL in place and put the block on the HPL and hit with a hammer, not beat but hit.

If you can't find the contact in a spray can, get the brush on kind and be sure to stir it up. Not the water base glue, it is junk. Oh and clean up with lacquer thinner just don't get the lacquer on anything painted on with a finish on it. Open a window or ventilate, that stuff will make you drunk.

One more note, the glue is flammable so beware. Also once the glue is stuck you can place some heavy books over night to insure it stays stuck, heat and grease is usually what causes the HPL to turn loose.
+1. You might first try lifting the loose laminate (without breaking it) just high enough to look under it with a flashlight to see if there is any solid particle debris. If there is use a loose piece of laminate (if you have one) as a tool to slide in the opening to bring out anything that may keep the laminate from sticking down. If it's clear, lay a towel on the laminate and heat up the laminate which may reactivate the glue, and if it does, just force it down until it cools.

If it doesn't use a small brush with solvent base contact cement, and stick it in as far as it will go and get the glue on the surface. Take out the brush, and press down the laminate momentarily to disperse the glue on the area and lift back up. Set something under the flap so it will dry. Like Jim said, about 20-30 minutes, stick it back down, and press it in place hard using the edge of a piece of " wood. You could use the block and a hammer but don't loosen up the wood trim edging.

Advertisement

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (06-02-2014)