Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

Anything to Spray into Ceiling to Remediate Mildew (and Mold?) Inside Ceiling

There's been a difficult to diagnose intermittent leak in my bedroom ceiling. It's been three weeks since I've seen evidence of any water (doesn't mean the leak has stopped but nothing was 'fixed'). A hole about 1' x 2' was cut into the ceiling to inspect. Now, I'm getting that sharp sour smell of mildew and/or mold coming into my room. Now, the owner of this building will never hire qualified workers unless he is sued, and even then he will try to weasel out of his responsibilities (which is what it is and will not change) and is why I'm posting here for a solution.

Is there any remedy that can be taken such as spraying diluted bleach into the ceiling? Or some other chemical? I can't see any evidence of mold it all looks good: just wood joists, plywood subfloor, sheetrock, and some pink insulation (EVERYTHING was rebuilt from scratch under two years ago, and I mean EVERYTHING). But it stinks.
There's another area in my apartment, an entrance hallway coat closet, that had a roof drain pipe running through it leak a few years back ... 75% of the time I open that closet it reeks of mildew (and or mold?). I do not want this to happen in my bedroom.

I know the lectures I'll get about proper remediation, but I can assure you 1,000% it will never happen here. So I need a solution that is minimally invasive but that might still work. Something quick and dirty?

Any ideas?
It's greatly appreciated.

Here's a thread with pics of the area:
Plumbing Leak Distorting Latex Paint into Bubble, Evidence of HOT Water?

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Well, in light of your situation, I suppose you could try either a diluted bleach solution (no more than 10%) or pick up one of the specific funguscide products available. Lowes sells Concrobium in a spray bottle. Without doing a true remediation, I won't promise success, but it may be worth a try. Certainly won't hurt anything. If fiberglass insulation got wet, it could hold moisture for a long time. If there is any way to get that out of there, your efforts will be more effective. Treat it and then get it closed up.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline View Post
There's been a difficult to diagnose intermittent leak in my bedroom ceiling. It's been three weeks since I've seen evidence of any water (doesn't mean the leak has stopped but nothing was 'fixed'). A hole about 1' x 2' was cut into the ceiling to inspect. Now, I'm getting that sharp sour smell of mildew and/or mold coming into my room. Now, the owner of this building will never hire qualified workers unless he is sued, and even then he will try to weasel out of his responsibilities (which is what it is and will not change) and is why I'm posting here for a solution.

Is there any remedy that can be taken such as spraying diluted bleach into the ceiling? Or some other chemical? I can't see any evidence of mold it all looks good: just wood joists, plywood subfloor, sheetrock, and some pink insulation (EVERYTHING was rebuilt from scratch under two years ago, and I mean EVERYTHING). But it stinks.
There's another area in my apartment, an entrance hallway coat closet, that had a roof drain pipe running through it leak a few years back ... 75% of the time I open that closet it reeks of mildew (and or mold?). I do not want this to happen in my bedroom.

I know the lectures I'll get about proper remediation, but I can assure you 1,000% it will never happen here. So I need a solution that is minimally invasive but that might still work. Something quick and dirty?

Any ideas?
It's greatly appreciated.

Here's a thread with pics of the area:
Plumbing Leak Distorting Latex Paint into Bubble, Evidence of HOT Water?
it is the land lord's resposabilty to keep the apartment safe, and fix what problum's that come up, i would call some one for sure about the mold and have them inspect the area, mold isn't to be played with, they may tell him to fix or move you ?? good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
joecaption (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

Like it or not if mold is found and is as bad as you say it is he has to legally fix it.
Sounds like it's time to move to me, why risk the life long heath risk.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
K&B Designer

A pint of hydrogen peroxide with a tablespoon of vinegar in it will work much better than bleach will. It forms peroxyacetic acid which is more effective than bleach at killing mold and deactivating it's spores. Unfortunately, as with any disinfectant, it has to actually penetrate below the surface in order to sanitize beneath that surface. In other words, you'll have to wet the drywall enough with it to soak it and displace the water. If the drywall isn't damaged enough, it will be by the time you soak it with any disinfectant. You'll also have to soak the insulation. Again, that's counter to what needs to happen here, which is removal and replacement. Without fixing the original problem that caused the leak, and then removal and replacement of the damaged materials, no topical attack on mold will do a thing for the stuff under the surface. It's like using sunscreen to prevent radiation burn. It does so little, that it's completely useless to even attempt.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the technical ideas.

The area is no longer wet, nor has been for a few weeks.
I'd just like to do anything, if it is better than nothing.

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 09-10-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
A pint of hydrogen peroxide with a tablespoon of vinegar in it will work much better than bleach will. It forms peroxyacetic acid which is more effective than bleach at killing mold and deactivating it's spores. Unfortunately, as with any disinfectant, it has to actually penetrate below the surface in order to sanitize beneath that surface. In other words, you'll have to wet the drywall enough with it to soak it and displace the water. If the drywall isn't damaged enough, it will be by the time you soak it with any disinfectant. You'll also have to soak the insulation. Again, that's counter to what needs to happen here, which is removal and replacement. Without fixing the original problem that caused the leak, and then removal and replacement of the damaged materials, no topical attack on mold will do a thing for the stuff under the surface. It's like using sunscreen to prevent radiation burn. It does so little, that it's completely useless to even attempt.
Well there's another concoction to add to my list of tried and true mold remediation products........ Wonder which magic mold site that one came from.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
K&B Designer

That actually came from a veterinarian friend of mine. We were looking for a low cost solution to sanitize the kennels at the animal shelter where I did some volunteer work, and she suggested that. She learned it in chemistry class.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Yep. Those veterinarians make the best mold remediators. Shame she didn't teach you that sodium hypochlorite not only kills mold, but destroys the glucan bonds of the cells, rendering the mold not only dead, but incapable of being an allergen.