Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

anything to keep in mind doing a ceiling mounted projector?

Just hoping for any tips, tricks, or problems I may run into. I've never put a hole in a ceiling ever, nor have I run a cable from the attic to an outlet on the wall , so, this should be interesting!!!

I'm about to start but figured I may as well start the thread since I'm sure I'll be here in an hour or two with a problem, and if I just check maybe I'll get a tip that'd avoid it!

I'm going to:

-use a monitor wall mount bracket (modified to accomodate a projection unit) to mount to the ceiling

- run power and s video cable into attic

- splice the power cord into a junction box somewhere once I'm up there

- run the s video cable across the ceiling, then down behind the wall, to come out at my computer

this'll surely be interesting and frustrating!!!

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #2

k got my first question!

Is there any 'best' spot to patch the power in? By that I mean, can I just splice into one of the wires that goes into the wall, or do I actually need to make that connection at a junction box? If it needs to be at a junction box, can I just split a wire and install a box right there to make the split?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 AM   #3

All electrical splices MUST be inside a junction box, and that junction box must be accessible (not behind drywall or buried in attic insulation).

You can add a box in the middle of a wire run, but make sure there's enough slack in the cable to give you room for the connections (you probably need an extra 12-18"). You also need to make sure you know which circuit you are working on, so you are not overloading the circuit, and not powering the projector on some circuit that will create interference with the projector or other equipment. Also you'll need to make sure you've shut off power to that cable, and that can be difficult if you're cutting into the middle of a run, unless you know exactly where the cable is coming from and going to.

It's generally safer and tidier to make your connection in an existing junction box. If you want the power coming from the same circuit as the outlets in the room, run wire from one of the outlet boxes, and then fish it up into the ceiling space to your projector.

Does your projector have a plug and cord? If so, I think you'll need to install an outlet in the ceiling to plug it into.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
All electrical splices MUST be inside a junction box, and that junction box must be accessible (not behind drywall or buried in attic insulation).

You can add a box in the middle of a wire run, but make sure there's enough slack in the cable to give you room for the connections (you probably need an extra 12-18"). You also need to make sure you know which circuit you are working on, so you are not overloading the circuit, and not powering the projector on some circuit that will create interference with the projector or other equipment. Also you'll need to make sure you've shut off power to that cable, and that can be difficult if you're cutting into the middle of a run, unless you know exactly where the cable is coming from and going to.

It's generally safer and tidier to make your connection in an existing junction box. If you want the power coming from the same circuit as the outlets in the room, run wire from one of the outlet boxes, and then fish it up into the ceiling space to your projector.

Does your projector have a plug and cord? If so, I think you'll need to install an outlet in the ceiling to plug it into.
Coolness!!

I got the projector fully up last night but haven't run the wires yet (just had them dangling and messed around with the aim last night - it's crazy how good this looks on the ceiling as opposed to the nightstand!).

Yes, the projector has plug/cord, s video and a standard/grounded cable. I was planning to run those both into the ceiling, run the s video across my room and down through the wall (and out behind my PC), and for the power cable, I was going to run that into the ceiling, cut off the end, and wire that directly to the junction box in the center of the room for the ceiling fan (it's just got 1 big fat cable going into it, and nothing leaving it).
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
for the power cable, I was going to run that into the ceiling, cut off the end, and wire that directly to the junction box in the center of the room for the ceiling fan (it's just got 1 big fat cable going into it, and nothing leaving it).
That'll work fine unless you decide to turn off the fan/light when using the projector. If there's only one cable going to the ceiling box, then there's probably only a switched hot in that box. I think you want to connect to a wall outlet in the wall instead.

The electricians (or maybe the manufacturer) will have to answer whether you can cut the plug off and wire that directly into a junction box.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #6

While you're at it, you might as well run a HDMI cable... it'll save you the trouble later if you plan to keep using a projector system...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #7

I do not believe you can hardwire the existing projector cord into the box. I think that any hardwired device must also stay with the house if you sell.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #8

out of curiousity, how would the cord even know? By that, I mean if I put an outlet on that junction box, wire the fan's power to the outlet, then plug it into that junction/outlet box, how would the projector know whether it's plug was fed by bare wires connected, or by a plug in a socket? Confused on that one..

About moving/hardwiring, I'll just remove it before showing my house when it's time to sell, I'm sure by then I'll have done something different for home theater anyways.

Oh and the fan's always on. I dunno if it's on the switch or not but I know my regular outlet is - but it has the computer attached so I put one of those screw on things over the switch so it's always on, and we just manually turn on/off things like the light/fan/PC/projector/etc
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
HandyMan Engineer

A lot of this will come down to personal preferences on the final look. In my mind the correct way to do this is to connect to an existing plug in the wall. Going to the ceiling would just be a short cut, plus I would think inconvenient. To have the projector on you would have to turn on the fan at the switch and then turn it off at the fan itself and anyone entering the room while you watch a movie could turn off the projector. Also the fact that you have ď1 big fat cableĒ, makes me think it not just 3c wire but 4c and that you have dual control on the fan (light/fan) at the switch. But Iím just assuming and you can confirm that. If you do plan it this way, make sure you do not have any variable control at the wall switch. This would vary the power to the fan and likewise your projector, which would make it not work and possible damage it. Now Iíve never dealt with projectors before and Iím not sure of amps it needs, but I always prefer to put high end electronics on its own circuit if that is a feasible option (available space/capacity in the breaker box, ease of pulling cable to box). I had a buddy fry his new $2500 plasma tv in his basement because he had it plugged into the regular wall outlet and on the other side of the room he had a big $200 ceramic heater plugged in on the same circuit that kept cycling on and off. Fancy electronics all seem to like nice clean steady power nowadays. Lucky for him it got replaced no questions asked under warranty.

As a preference only I would install a plug in the ceiling with a double plate that has S-video and HDMI receptacles. Run the video cables to another plate with receptacles at your computer. Nice and clean and looks good for resale. Also if youíre concerned about the excess cord at the projector, you can get shrink wrap or cloth tube that you can put over the folded excess. Keeps it clean and neat.

Well that my two cents. I hope it all works out for you.
sendres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendres View Post
To have the projector on you would have to turn on the fan at the switch and then turn it off at the fan itself and anyone entering the room while you watch a movie could turn off the projector. Also the fact that you have ď1 big fat cableĒ, makes me think it not just 3c wire but 4c and that you have dual control on the fan (light/fan) at the switch. But Iím just assuming and you can confirm that. If you do plan it this way, make sure you do not have any variable control at the wall switch. This would vary the power to the fan and likewise your projector, which would make it not work and possible damage it.
If someone messed with the switch then it'd definitely be a problem, but that switch is blocked off from access so the power will always be flowing to the projector. We keep one of those plastic pieces over the toggle switch for the only power switch in the bedroom, and it stays on 24/7 never off, so there shouldn't be issues with that I don't think... Unless you meant that if I pull the fan's cord to change the fan speeds that that would affect something leaving that junction? If so that'd be a problem but I don't think that is how it would work..