Anyone Use A Portable Steam Cleaner? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Anyone use a portable steam cleaner?

I've had the thought of getting a portable steam cleaner in the back of my head for a few years now. Does anyone have alot of experience using them?

I think it would be such an affective method of cleaning things like large pots and pans that dont fit in the dishwasher, or things like garden and shop tools, or even cleaning around the sink and toilet. I would get a steam cleaner that sprayed out a stream of steam so no pads or cloths on the end. I dunno to me super heated water and steam just seem to be a much better option for cleaning then chemicals and scrubbing.

Do inexpensive ones put out enough steam to make this a good option or would I have to pay alot of money for a large unit?

Advertisement

konsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

I found one at a thrift store last year. I use it occasionally (we have a lot of tile), but I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I found one at a thrift store last year. I use it occasionally (we have a lot of tile), but I wouldn't have paid full price for it.
You wouldnt have paid full price because they are really expensive, or you just dont use it that much, or it isnt that affective or what?
konsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

This is the one I found. It didn't come with the bag, but for only eight dollars it did have most of the attachments.
It is usually easier for me to grab a bucket and sponge, rather than dig it out, fill it up, wait for it to heat, etc. I'd still be on my hands and knees anyway, and have to wipe up the wet.
I'll pull it out for spring cleaning, or every few months for cleaning the tile around the dog food bowls, bathroom floor tile, etc.
It's handy to have, just not worth 75 bucks to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-SS1000-.../dp/B00024JYAG

OTOH, I did get a Black Friday deal on a Shark steam mop ($34.00) that I really like.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote