Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 103
Question

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Just stumbled across this product. Basically a breathable tile flooring option for adding storage space to your attic.

Link :
http:/www.amazon.com/Attic-Flooring-Pack-panels-Gray/dp/B001I0D0MQ

Anyone have any experience using this, or something like it? Anyone able to comment on any structural issues to take into account before adding storage to your attic? It looks like this should not adversely effect the R-value of you insulation so long as you don't compress it (you may have to add some 2x4 shims or something if your insulation is higher than the beams).

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #2

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Anyone? Any comments even if you haven't used it? Discussion?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Okay, this looks like an asinine product to me. I can go up into the attic and allow fiberglass to drift through all the openings into my lungs, down the stairs and into the rest of the house.
Stupid product. I don't hate it, because we don't do that here.
Plywood.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #4

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Okay, this looks like an asinine product to me. I can go up into the attic and allow fiberglass to drift through all the openings into my lungs, down the stairs and into the rest of the house.
Stupid product. I don't hate it, because we don't do that here.
Plywood.
Ron
I don't get what you're saying here. By going into the attic and putting these in you're going to be creating some sort of toxic fiberglass death cloud? I've worked around insulation before and never found this to be the case. Please explain further.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Anyone use Attic Dek?

i was once at a trade show, where they were showing this product. i walked on some they had set up, seemed nice a sturdy, but that's the extent of my experience. I think it's a pretty cool product
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 510

Anyone use Attic Dek?

I don't get it. If you are using it just to walk on, or store a few boxes, I would say that a few random scrap pieces of OSB would be a lot more cost effective.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Anyone use Attic Dek?

It looks cool and all but I'm also not sure what it does that you can't get w/ OSB.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #8

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
I don't get what you're saying here. By going into the attic and putting these in you're going to be creating some sort of toxic fiberglass death cloud? I've worked around insulation before and never found this to be the case. Please explain further.
There's a reason exposed fiberglass is covered over.
Ron
Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Anyone use Attic Dek?

I think it's just lighter and more homeowner friendly. I recently brought up dozens of pieces of 2'X8' 3/4" plywood thru my house and into the attic and it was a lot of work. Carrying a shrink-wrapped bundle of those plastic panels looks like cake
Lockeset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #10

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Quote:
There's a reason exposed fiberglass is covered over.
Ron
Maybe something is different in your part of the world, but most attics it isn't covered over. There are millions of attics around the country used for storage in which fiberglass insulation is exposed. Even when people put some flooring down, it is very rare for them to cover the entire floor, usually the outskirts of the attic where the roof is very low is left open.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,004

Anyone use Attic Dek?

The product features state: "One square supports up to 200 pounds."

The product description then states: "Strong and sturdy, one square has been tested to support 250 pounds."

These two statements contradict each other.

Elsewhere in the product description it says: "The prefabricated plastic panel squares are secured with screws to the attic floor joints to create flooring space for storage or a stepping stone pathway to get to hard to reach spaces."

Aside from the misuse of the word joints there they obviously meant joists, they are suggesting that their product can be used as a "stepping stone pathway" when the product is only rated for 200 or 250 lbs. depending on which info is accurate. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their product. Technical writers are not that expensive. They should either consult with one or fire the one they have.

However $37.00 for four such panels is not a large investment. Sadly, the product is not eligible for Amazon Prime so tack on another $11.84 for shipping. Order a 4-pack, try them out and if you like them order more. If you weigh in the 200-250 range, I would be real careful about stepping on them.

How is that for discussion?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #12

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockeset View Post
Maybe something is different in your part of the world, but most attics it isn't covered over. There are millions of attics around the country used for storage in which fiberglass insulation is exposed. Even when people put some flooring down, it is very rare for them to cover the entire floor, usually the outskirts of the attic where the roof is very low is left open.
Everytime you put something down on an open grate there will be air movement under the item. With the air movement the fiberglass can become airborne.
Edge exposure of fiberglass isn't too good either. Just because it's done all the time doesn't mean it's a bright thing to do. Like texting in a moving car.
Ron
Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #13

Anyone use Attic Dek?

Quote:
Everytime you put something down on an open grate there will be air movement under the item. With the air movement the fiberglass can become airborne.
Edge exposure of fiberglass isn't too good either. Just because it's done all the time doesn't mean it's a bright thing to do. Like texting in a moving car.
Ron
Again, millions of houses have exposed fiberglass and it's not common to hear your theory of covering it all up. Your friend GBR in WA recommends only laying small 12" strips of plywood sparcely around the attic floor for storage to keep the joist space open to allow the rising air/moisture thru.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #14

Anyone use Attic Dek?

The poster asked opinions, I gave him mine.
Do whatever you want.
Ron