Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #1

Share |

Anyone with TREX decking come in!

I built my deck last fall before it snowed so I didnt by furniture. Now its time! I do know that trex along with other composite decking scratch fairly easily and I was wondering what people are doing with deck furniture so it doesnt scratch when moved around? Example: I would imagine that sliding chairs and tables around on the deck would make large scratches and I am trying to avoid this? Scratches look bad and you cant sand them out.

Anyone that has TREX and furniture care to comment on this?

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm2424 View Post
I built my deck last fall before it snowed so I didnt by furniture. Now its time! I do know that trex along with other composite decking scratch fairly easily and I was wondering what people are doing with deck furniture so it doesnt scratch when moved around? Example: I would imagine that sliding chairs and tables around on the deck would make large scratches and I am trying to avoid this? Scratches look bad and you cant sand them out.

Try not using the deck, and BBQ on the grass.....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Try not using the deck, and BBQ on the grass.....

Crap, I guess I shouldnt have built a 600+ square foot deck then

BBQ will be fine since it wont be sliding around. I just need to find the right material to put on the bottom of the furniture legs.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #4

You'd be surprised to find that some furniture out there have rubber bumpers on the bottom. Any legs with rounded feet and cast iron should be fine. Composite also scratches easy when you're powerwashing the deck.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You'd be surprised to find that some furniture out there have rubber bumpers on the bottom. Any legs with rounded feet and cast iron should be fine. Composite also scratches easy when you're powerwashing the deck.
So you thinking that a soft rubber would work well? I guess maybe as long as it doesnt leave rubber streaks all over the deck. I will look for some and see whats out there.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #6

These bumpers are really hard rubber, and are designed into the furniture. I think all in all, you should probably expect your deck to get beat up. It's pretty much inevitable.

Also, some people lay out rugs on their decks, especiall in hot climates. Your deck will get very hot if it's under the sun, and the color will fade over time.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
These bumpers are really hard rubber, and are designed into the furniture. I think all in all, you should probably expect your deck to get beat up. It's pretty much inevitable.

Also, some people lay out rugs on their decks, especiall in hot climates. Your deck will get very hot if it's under the sun, and the color will fade over time.
Well, at this point Im not accepting that my deck will get beat up. I'll keep searching online for workarounds that people have done in the past.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Lehigh Valley PA

You can check out some of the pads and legs that this place has. Some of it may help to save from moving things around on your new deck.
Good luck.

http://www.levelingmounts.com/
Nhrafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

My friends and relatives with Trex decking haven't found chair and table legs an issue
I don't have it myself, but have installed it, and not heard of such issues
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #10

Ditto. I installed the Evergreen decking. I have a grill, smoker, table & chairs, umbrella on it. I wash the dog, use my miter saw and wood tools on it when I need to....just about anything you can imagine.

Looks fine to me. And some of the chairs even lost the little plastic feet on them.

If you're that worried about wear and tear, you might want to look into concrete.

Last edited by Jeekinz; 04-12-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #11

I guess Im really not THAT worried. I just remember while building it that its hardness is lacking. I scratched several boards with misc tools while sliding them around on it. I guess I was really just looking for people that had experience with kids and furniture being slid around on the material. Sounds like it shoudl be a non issue.

Thanks all
Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #12

It'll be more likely to scratch also if the decking is hot, meaning when/after it's under the baking sun and you drag something across the deck.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm2424 View Post

Most furniture will not scratch the Trex, but if your really worried I sell Trex furniture, and it certainly will not scratch Trex visit trexgoldpro.com
thedeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Green Builder

You can buy teflon-type pads from most hardware big-boxes - that is your best bet. As long is it doesn't have a sharp edge, most furniture doesn't seem to mar Trex.
chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
jhd

I have never had an issue with furniture. Good Luck with Trex. After 5 years, the color of my trex is gone. Either have to stain it or replace it. No warranty on color. Hate this stuff, wanted maintance free.

jhd is offline   Reply With Quote