Anybody Know How To Cover Cabinets? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Anybody know how to cover cabinets?

Cabinets

Does anyone know how to cover (dark) kitchen cabinets?

I rent, and can't paint, but I'd like to re-cover them with something that won't damage what's there already, for when I leave. I'd like to brighten them up a bit...
Any ideas????

thanks!

Advertisement

ineedadvice4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Going to be difficult to make a removable covering - short of possibly a fabric covering. Anything else won't stay attach much more than a night without sanding the finish off.

Advertisement

hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

tackly (literally) paper. The stuff you use to line your shelves. It's going to look tacky though, but is removeable. When I say tacky, I mean ugly.

Perhaps strike up a deal with your landlord to split the bill on a cabinet resurface project. THere are plenty of companies, like sears (high priced), that will come in and replace the cabinet and droor faces. This will give your kitchen a new updated and bright look.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

This is just a tacky an idea but you might try wallpapering them. You might find a nice print you like and it won't take you but a day on each end to apply and or remove. Just make sure to get a small tub of vinyl to vinyl paste for the corners and overlaps so it sticks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedadvice4
Cabinets

Does anyone know how to cover (dark) kitchen cabinets?

I rent, and can't paint, but I'd like to re-cover them with something that won't damage what's there already, for when I leave. I'd like to brighten them up a bit...
Any ideas????

thanks!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #5

Sometimes just adding new hardware can change the look of the cabinets. Get silver hinges and knobs, or maybe you would be allowed to just paint any trim on the doors.