DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Anybody ever convert their swimming pool to a golf putting green?

10K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jeffrow1 
#1 ·
Inground swimming pool, has kind of a curved shape to it - not just a rectangle. Concrete deck all around and abutts to patio area. We never use it - kids are grown and gone. We spend recurring money on repairs, chemicals, etc... We spend time cleaning and maintaining... It's coming to a point where it is going to need $1000-$2000 in repairs - instead, thinking of maybe converting it to a golf putting green. Remove the coping, fill it in with dirt, apply artificial tuff for putting green, etc.

Anybody with any experience doing this?
Thoughts, ideas or caveats that come to mind?

Picture here: http://www.webjeepers.com/homestead.html

Thanks!

#16 ·
We recently filled in our pool for most of the same reasons as the OP. We removed gas, electrical and plumbing. Bottom was broken up along with 2-3 ft of sidewalls. We filled it with 60 tons of road base followed by 12" of topsoil, I can't imagine having a "swamp". The biggest issue we had was trying to incorporate the existing concrete decking into a new landscaping plan.

#2 ·
No reason not to use the shape for something if you are going to fill it in anyhow and you would use it as a putting green. Make sure you cap off all the plumbing, electrical connections and follow guidelines/code for "decommisioning" the pool.

I guess converting it to a more shallow, natural, waterscape element that did not require chemicals another possibility.

I guess my only concern would be whether a putting green would appear to potential buyers as a waste of space when it comes time to sell the house. Anything to do with the game of golf (perfect way to ruin a good walk) would be lost on me.

If golf and putting practice is your thing I think it could be fun to have a putting green handy. You could probably hang a net and have some tees for plastic ball driving practice too?

#6 ·
#9 ·
OK, seriously for a minute.

Here's my question.

If you were to fill that sucker in, leaving all the structure, what would happen over time when the rains came year after year. Where would/could the water go that would no doubt permeate the area and seep into the structured form and waterproof bottom?

#11 ·
OK, seriously for a minute.

Here's my question.

If you were to fill that sucker in, leaving all the structure, what would happen over time when the rains came year after year. Where would/could the water go that would no doubt permeate the area and seep into the structured form and waterproof bottom?
I was thinking about this. Probably need to jack hammer and break up the pool bottom and maybe have a layer of gravel at the bottom, or something along these lines. Thanks.

#15 · (Edited)
Houses with pools probably have a higher selling price then ones with putting greens. But if this isn't an issue, do what you like.
Even if it is an issue, it's your house.
I wonder if you could build a support structrure in the pool that would give you the ability to have a putting green without destroying the pool structure?
Seems plausible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.