Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Share |

Any way to get wire through this corner?

I'm trying to get wire (14 gauge speaker wire and phone wire) around a corner of my framing without having to go up into the attic. Is it possible to get around a corner like this? Even if I could get two drill holes to line up, I can't fit a drill in the wall cavity. I'm attaching a picture of the studs and a diagram (each box is a 2x4) because the picture isn't exactly clear. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to get wire through this corner?-img_0470-1-.jpg   Any way to get wire through this corner?-corner.jpg  

SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Can you easily get to the outside of the corner?

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Can you easily get to the outside of the corner?
That's the outside of the house.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Then it is easy.

Just cut a deep notch out of the outside corner... about 3" to 4" from top to bottom... then drill a hole in one direction near the top of the notch... and a hole in the other direction near the bottom of the notch, and you're ready to pull all the wire from one direction to the corner... then pull it from the corner to wherever you need it.

The top drawing does not show the holes drilled at enough of an angle, but you can see how it would be done by tilting the drill more.
Attached Thumbnails
Any way to get wire through this corner?-corner-holes.jpg   Any way to get wire through this corner?-corner-holes-2.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 06-26-2013 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
SoxFan44 (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Drill from both sides until you hit each hole.
Take 2 single wires and form hooks in them.
Insert each wire into each hole and twist until you catch the other wire.
Pull one wire through and use it as a pull wire for the cable.
Use small push and pull strokes until the cable comes out the other side.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Drill from both sides until you hit each hole.
Take 2 single wires and form hooks in them.
Insert each wire into each hole and twist until you catch the other wire.
Pull one wire through and use it as a pull wire for the cable.
Use small push and pull strokes until the cable comes out the other side.
He can't get the drill between the studs next to the corner.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Then it is easy.

Just cut a deep notch out of the outside corner... about 4" from top to bottom... then drill a hole in one direction near the top of the notch... and a hole in the other direction near the bottom of the notch, and you're ready to pull all the wire from one direction to the corner... then pull it from the corner to wherever you need it.

This drawing does not show the holes drilled at enough of an angle, but you can see how it would be done by tilting the drill more.
Thanks for the diagram. How much can I take out without affecting the structure?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan44 View Post
Thanks for the diagram. How much can I take out without affecting the structure?
Considering you have four studs there, you could go as deep as a 7 1/2 saw will cut, resting on the point of the corner, (about 2 1/2"), at the deep part. The two outside studs were probably only added to give the lath or drywall a backing.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-26-2013 at 10:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
SoxFan44 (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

I don't.....get.....

Isn't there plywood and siding on the outside of the house?

It'd be cheaper to buy an angle attachment than remove all that, if there is... IMO.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Old School

He says he showed us a photograph of the outer corner. (from the outside, it has to be assumed) That's why my first question was if he could easily get to the outside..... (I couldn't tell from the photo.)... We kind of know that anyone can get to the covered outside corner of their house.

But I will admit that I can't tell anything at all from that photograph... I'm just going by what he said, that this was the outside framing like he drew it.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

I think that's the inside part of the outside corner, but he could still do the same thing there so that there will be a notch behind the drywall. Or get a small impact driver that will fit in there or an angle attachment or a flexible bit. There are many ways to do it.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-26-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan44 View Post
I'm trying to get wire (14 gauge speaker wire and phone wire) around a corner of my framing without having to go up into the attic.
If its just speaker/phone can you notch the framing??
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Old School

This confusion (the photo could be of ANYTHING) is one of the main reasons I post so many drawings. Even if I have the object sitting right in front of me, and a camera at my fingertips, I will usually take the time and effort to do a drawing rather than just click a picture.

If you will notice, I shorten the length of "studs" in a drawing so that you can see the ends, and tell the orientation and relative sizes of pieces.

Most DIY people either cram a camera up so close, all you can see is a distorted blur of brown, or hold it so far away that all you can tell is that there is a wall somewhere in the photo. And, worse, they use that danged cheap glass hole on the back of their cell phone that someone sold them as being a true camera.

There's a good reason plans are DRAWINGS, and not photographs.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Bill Kearney

You really do want to weigh the option of running through the attic. While it's not fun (heat, insulation, etc) it will likely be quicker and easier.

That said, Short spade bits do exist. As do right-angle drills (or adapter attachments). That and since spade bits are relatively cheap you could always just cut the shank down on one (but keeping a good bite on it gets trickier).

I've got a DeWalt cordless right-angle drill that I had to use in a few situations where space between the studs wasn't wide enough.

Also note that extensions can be had for hex-shaft drill bits. I had to use two of them in order to get through some studs next to, and under a window. Using a long ship auger bit wouldn't have worked as the angle wouldn't have been shallow enough to make it work.

Just avoid taking too much material out of that wood. Given that it's in a corner and it's stacked like that there's likely to be a fair bit of load on it. Of course that also means there's likely going to be nails along the length.

There are also short ship auger bits too. I used a couple of Irwin's nail eater bits to deal with that.

If you do decide to drill, do not just eyeball it. Measure to the drilling point on both sides and maintain level when drilling.
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
This confusion (the photo could be of ANYTHING) is one of the main reasons I post so many drawings.
I cannot master Google Sketchup like that

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote