Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

Any ideas about how to build a temporary construction screen?

I'm sick of receiving notices from the borough about "litter" around the house. Since I'm going to continuously cycle boxes and debris through the driveway and the front yard, the best way to avoid a court summons seems to be a privacy screen to preserve the delicate sensibilities of the inspector (my neighbors don't mind the construction).

I was thinking of building some sort of temporary chain link fence with a mesh screen, but I'm not sure what to do about the feet. Buckets full of concrete perhaps? Let me know what you think.

Edit:
The borough did sort of bring this situation upon itself by moving to a biweekly collection of carboard. My borough doesn't allow you to mix corrugated cardboard with garbage, so I accumulate quite a pile sometimes.

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-24-2010 at 06:11 PM.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

I would suggest you ask them what you can do 1st
IE what materials you can use

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I would suggest you ask them what you can do 1st
IE what materials you can use
Make "them" happy to get them off your back.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #4

The easiest way to make him happy is to prevent him from seeing the materials and debris moving through my driveway. A chain link construction screen would be adequate, but I'm not sure what fittings to use for the feet.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

First, let me state that you seem to be misunderstanding the desired relationship we should seek with the Building Official. You may be developing an antagonistic, rather than symbiotic, partnership doing it "your way" rather than simply getting in compliance. Pride and stubbornness often come back to bite us in the butt... especially when dealing with City Hall.

That said, most construction sites simply have a dumpster the junk gets thrown in, or they build a plywood corral (4' high x 8' square) to contain the debris until removal.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
JohnFRWhipple (07-26-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #6

I was hoping someone knew of something along these lines:

http://www.temporaryfence.com.au/Con...ocks-sales.seo

Willie,

As things are right now, I believe the zoning official and I have a parasitic symbiosis as opposed to a mutualist symbiosis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis#Parasitism

A dumpster or a container would be great if we had the room. I've seen used 20' shipping containers for under $1000. I'm not sure a container would improve the aesthetics of the property, but I'm willing to give it a go if we can rearrange things so I can fit one in the driveway.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #7

Well, there certainly appears to be more to this episode then what is here. You'll never win in a Teeing contest with an "official". Why so much cardboard? You can have quite a bit of it and still make it look neat. I've been known to get a little stubborn at times but I really dont' think you want to bring more on yourself. And we both know how you keep your yard is none of my business.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamincall View Post
The easiest way to make him happy is to prevent him from seeing the materials and debris moving through my driveway. A chain link construction screen would be adequate, but I'm not sure what fittings to use for the feet.
You might want to check to see if this barrier needs a permit.
I don't know what this means, " Since I'm going to continuously cycle boxes and debris through the driveway and the front yard"
If this is construction debris, it might be easier to re evaluate the system you're using rather then add another eyesore to the mix. Construction fences are short term items. No way an inspector will allow it for too long.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
Well, there certainly appears to be more to this episode then what is here. You'll never win in a Teeing contest with an "official". Why so much cardboard? You can have quite a bit of it and still make it look neat. I've been known to get a little stubborn at times but I really dont' think you want to bring more on yourself. And we both know how you keep your yard is none of my business.
Kitchen cabinets, hardwood flooring boxes, and furniture boxes, in addition to the usual boxes from Costco, Amazon, etc., really create quite a pile after two weeks without a cardboard pickup.

Everyone seems to think that a construction fence is antagonistic to the zoning official. My intent is not to offend our zealous public servant, but, given the fairly unpredictable nature of his complaints (a tarp that is blown askew by the wind, etc.), I want to prevent unpleasant surprises by setting up a neat construction fence until my work is complete. I think I found a good solution:
http://www.academyfence.com/chainlin...struction.html

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-26-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You might want to check to see if this barrier needs a permit.
I don't know what this means, " Since I'm going to continuously cycle boxes and debris through the driveway and the front yard"
If this is construction debris, it might be easier to re evaluate the system you're using rather then add another eyesore to the mix. Construction fences are short term items. No way an inspector will allow it for too long.
Ron
That sentence means that I'm producing new rubbish on a weekly basis, I'm not some deadbeat with two trashed cars, a dead cat, broken lawn chairs and two years of soda cans littering the yard.

Thanks for the advice about the permit. With any luck, the inspector will be pleased with the barrier idea, especially given some of the unsightly fences and walls I've seen around town. We're a far cry from being as fancy as Long Island, so hopefully he'll go for it. I'll keep you posted.

Update: The inspector says the local code doesn't have a provision for temporary fences, but permanent fences in the front yard are limited to a height of 4'. He sort of gave me an idea about which parts of the yard he wants me to use during construction. I guess I'm going to abandon the fence idea in light of the likely height requirement and the expense.

Last edited by benjamincall; 07-26-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #11

Why can't you find a place that is out of site like in the garage or a shed to store your corregated wastes until collection day. Just because your neighbors don't complain, doesn't mean it doesn't bother them. Plus it can't be good when it rains to store trash outside. The boxes can be made small by cutting them with a utility knife and stacking the flat pieces together.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #12

Yeah, the cardboard was out of sight from the street. The inspector told me today that he actually came onto my property, so apparently that's how he saw it. I think he was concerned about the stuff (new kitchen cabinets, etc.) I had under tarps in the driveway. I think I have everything squared away now. Thanks for the input everybody. I hope the links to the fence manufacturers are helpful to people looking for that sort of thing.