Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Electrician's Helper

Send a message via AIM to Pudge565
Share |

anti-tip bracket

I was told by my instructor the purpose for an anti-tip bracket on a stove was to keep a toddler from getting pinned in between the door and the stove, is this correct?

Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

anti-tip bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge565 View Post
I was told by my instructor the purpose for an anti-tip bracket on a stove was to keep a toddler from getting pinned in between the door and the stove, is this correct?
It keeps the stove from tipping over. These appliances are lighter then the older models. If you pull out a shelf to check on a turkey or other heavy item, the center of gravity is shifted forward. If the stove tips with items on the burners, somebody will get seriously hurt whether toddlers are in the house or not.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Electrician

anti-tip bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge565 View Post

I think the name of the bracket explains it all, but just my 2cents...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #4

anti-tip bracket

I believe someone was cooking a pot of boiling water for spaghetti and her child opened the over door and crawled up on it hence causing the stove to TIP OVER and scald the child. This was the solution for children climbing on stove doors.
monarksky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
the Musigician

anti-tip bracket

between the door and the stove? wouldn't that be "in the oven"? seriously though, i read somewheres that it IS because of kids. they tend to want to use the oven door as a step. we had a newer stove at our old house that the install guys never put in the anti-tip (i wasn't there that day, but when i had to pull it out to clean, i saw no anti-tips so i created my own.) and with a huge turkey pulled all the way out it didn't move, not enough weight. but if a kid had climbed on it, quite a different story, i'm sure. the stove would tip forward and anything on top would have been all over the little guy/gal. to be sure though, when i'm at the kitchen stage of my remodel here, it will be mounted again. (grandkids) but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Electrician

anti-tip bracket

I'm sure alot of things happened that caused them to install anti-tips.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Electrician's Helper

Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

anti-tip bracket

Just so everyone know my instructor wrote that I forgot to log out and a kid that is in my shop his step dad didnt believe him that that is what they are for so he posted it here to prove it to the guy.

Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote