Am I Overlycautious??
When I leave my home for three days or longer, I always---
1) Turn the water main off
2) Turn off power to ALL unnecessary 220 appliances.
3) Two timers set to control lights and radio.
4) Unplug all unnecessary 110 items.
5) Turn Central unit up or down.
6) Have neighbor collect mail and newspaper.
7) Disconnect and unplug computer and TV sets.
8) Every time I leave my home, I sat my home security system.
I have never had a breakin or had items stolen from my property but I also don't leave items outside in easy reach.
My wife and kids laugh and say I am overly cautious and all this is not necessary.:no:
I say if I have time why not:thumbup:
Theres being wayyy overcautious, and not cautious enough.
You are just taking things into consideration of what "can" happen, which isn't neccesarily a bad thing.
1) Ok, if a pipe breaks, I can understand that- Good
2) 220v (or 240v) can be dangerous. These are usually electric stoves and heaters, A/C untis, and hot water heaters- Not in use when your out anyway. Good
3) Fools theives. Very wise!- Good
4) It will save some energy and is a safe thing to do incase something electronically fails- Good
5) Keep those pipes from freezing, and keep the heat from melting the wallpaper off the wall.- Good
6) Good thing to do. This way it doesn't get stolen or blown away. Thieves look for this too!- Good
7) Why not? Again, saves energy, not in use, can fail electronically if a storm hits- Good
8) Best thing to do! Nothing wrong with that. That's why it was installed- GOOD!
Basically, I think your a homeowner that is taking good measures of precaution to protect your home and family. Nothing wrong with being extra careful. :thumbup:
There are several things I've done around our house that you didn't mention... We have motion sensor lights on all sides of the house, and I've got no shrubs or trees near the house that somebody could hide behind.
When I leave for any extended period I leave strategic lights on throughout the house, leave bedroom Tvs on, leave a loud radio on in the den, daylight sensors on my exterior lighting, skip trash day if it means my can will sit out at the curb for a few days, etc.
And by the way, I am just a renter (for about 2 more weeks:wink:!)
I think you seem pretty normal.
#8 is an absolute waste of time and money. Tear that sucker out and sell it on eBay. BTW, when are you leaving home next? :laughing:
Cautious, yes; overly, no. I don't turn off my 220 volt circuits, except for the well pump, but, other than that, I do pretty much the same things, and because I always have, it's pretty mundane. I also unplug the garage door opener, and put U bolts in the door tracks. Otherwise, things like locking the windows, putting a stick in the patio door, etc. are daily routine, whether we are home or away. We always let a few neighbors know that we will be gone, and where will be, so one of them generally volunteers to get the mail, but I have used the service that Mr. Chips mentioned, and it works well. Also, we maintain a current list of credit card numbers and related phone numbers, coded so that I don't worry about it falling into the wrong hands, in order to be able to quickly notify the banks, in the event that they are lost or stolen.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.