Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Alternatives to painting and wallpapering

Hey everyone

I am fixing up my craft room (on the cheap of course) because its looking bad but since three more family members have moved in , I really need a nice place to hide that will cheer me up.

Anyways, I wanted to try an alterntive to painting or wallpapering it. Anyone have some ideas, past projects/posts come to mind? I was even thinking of vinyl tiles or something funky like that...but they would probably just fall off..idk.

Your all brilliant-give me ideas

kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #2

You could do some fabric-covered panels on the wall (using homasote or foamboard backed with thin plywood for stability) to cover the walls, and they'd be good for push-pins and such.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

for that idea..Ive heard of putting fabric on walls with ..what was it..oh, fabric starch..is that how you do it?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Hmm, "kimber", could be male or female. I know males and females named Kim. Either way (but females would prefer this one): Have you thought about using the type of wallpaper that you tear off pieces, wet with water, and place on the wall in a random pattern? They make a lot of different patterns in these. My wife did our dining room, and I'll be the first to admit I thought she had lost her mind (again) but it turned out really great. I actually show it to guest now and brag on her. This type wall paper does not leave ragged edges, just place one piece overlapping another and do on and on. Maybe look into this. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #5

Hello David from GA I did a very short stint in GA back in the day (athens) what a fantastic place.

Anways, I am female..I should fill out my profile soon .
Ive never heard of tear away wall paper but if you have time could you please ask her where she got it? I can always look it up , but if she enjoyed a certain brand thats always good to know. That actually sounds great because the room is in the cellar and its just gloomy and I need major color right now. I wish I could figure out what to do with the ceiling..its just unfiinshed with pipes..talk about depressing.
Thanks for your help
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

http://www.diyinspiration.com/index....ask=view&id=22
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #7

that paperbag wall looks incredible..I was looking into where to get the items-thanks chrisn!

im trying to find one of the needed materials , the scotch draw tite clear no run

I know there are a good amount of massachusetts members on this board- has anyone seen it locally?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #8

! am willing to bet that Kimber is a female...I am not sure I know many males with there own craft room.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #9

I love that picture sephora ...it reminds me of the stair project I am doing now. Thats kind of why I want to get started on this craft room-its sort of like I am failing so badly at one project that if I do good on another I will get some more courage/confidence up to finish this crap job I started somewhere else.

If I knew a guy with a nice craft room I would probably marry him...Im almost ready to pick up a nice single carpenter just to get my stairs done. me+stairs=fail.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #10

I was in a business one time that had the ceiling of its lobby painted black (to hide the pipes, etc.) There were 4'x8' panels of vinyl lattice suspended from the ceiling and trimmed to cover the ends of each panel. Surprisingly, it looked pretty nice.

I thought about doing that in my laundry room, but with the ceilings being under 8' high and no windows in there, I thought it might make it too dark.
You could probably paint the ceiling and pipes white and use white lattice.

I'll try to find a picture of a craft room I had a few years ago. I hung white peg board on a couple of the walls. Then I used 1"x4" pine boards as shelves that rested on the little metal pegs spaced evenly across the width of the pegboard. That gave me a LOT of good storage space. If I remember right, they sell 2'x4' pieces of pegboard, so you could probably fit that in your car to get it home.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
I was in a business one time that had the ceiling of its lobby painted black (to hide the pipes, etc.) There were 4'x8' panels of vinyl lattice suspended from the ceiling and trimmed to cover the ends of each panel. Surprisingly, it looked pretty nice.

I thought about doing that in my laundry room, but with the ceilings being under 8' high and no windows in there, I thought it might make it too dark.
You could probably paint the ceiling and pipes white and use white lattice.

I'll try to find a picture of a craft room I had a few years ago. I hung white peg board on a couple of the walls. Then I used 1"x4" pine boards as shelves that rested on the little metal pegs spaced evenly across the width of the pegboard. That gave me a LOT of good storage space. If I remember right, they sell 2'x4' pieces of pegboard, so you could probably fit that in your car to get it home.
thank you I would love to see more pics of your work. Some of the pipes extend below the top of the one window I have in the room..so I dont think there is anything I can do with that. I was going to ask about what kinds of pipes are safe to paint. I know there is a water pipe but there are also heating vents and some pvc which I would assume are from the bathroom upstairs..idk. Somebody had a similar question on another thread.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
Household Handyman

kimber: I know my wife got the wallpaper at a local paint/wallpaper shop. I will have to ask her if she can remember any brand name. She got the idea from one of thos Home Improvement shows, I know that. As far as the ceiling, if it is unfinished and depressing at this time, maybe just a simple coat of white paint will brighten it up until you can figure out what you really want. Don't live with anything depressing, it will just get worse. "I did a very short stint in GA back in the day (athens)". OR in that case, you could paint the ceiling RED/Black. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #13

I will definitely be painting the ceiling (last-hows that for a$$ backwards ?) I am going to need some help with figuring out what pipes to paint ..what pipes I can paint. Hopefully I wont get the "you might want to get the lead and asbestos off there first" reaction .. that would be awful...house was made in '73 so most likely not right?

loved loved Georgia, but wasnt a bulldogs fan my friend..that being said, I think I was the only NE resident to give an evil snicker when the patriots lost the super bowl

i miss sweet tea and a good red velvet cake;I even miss the waffle house-how insane is that?!

thanks for your help!