Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |

Alternatives to dry wall!?

I'm writing a report on USG (united states gypsum). They have a 30% market share in the US.

I am trying to make sure that there are no alternatives to drywall (drywall is apparently the cheapest for homes)

If anybody has any thoughts or information on drywall/gypsum/ or USG products please let me know! thanks!

tscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my historic 1910 home has lathe board and plaster rather than drywall.

argana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #3

I do believe that drywall is the cheapest. Its also a lot easier than plaster to install. My house was built in the teens, and its all wood lathe and plaster. It hard to find someone who works with plaster, and does a good job. It appears to be a dieing art.

I've got some plaster work to do on my house, so I'll have to learn.....The drywall would be so much easier and quicker.

tscott, sorry I really know very little about drywall.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #4

Drywall is pretty much king in north america... if you're looking at alternatives, maybe look at what are the practices common in europe? I'm no expert, but have seen more use of plaster in the TV shows that are aired from the UK...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #5

"I am trying to make sure that there are no alternatives to drywall (drywall is apparently the cheapest for homes)" Thread poster.

Paneling has fallen out of style (for a number of years now). Best practice install on paneling is overlay on drywall.

Plaster as mentioned above is a near dead art form. With the advent of Blue board in small markets & with Italian plasters, a small % of the market goes that way. Log homes and Solid wood walls another small %.

as stated above.... drywall is King... Long live the king... most acceptable bang for the buck... for now and in the near future.

If you have a better mouse trap let us know.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
General Contractor

USG may have a 30% market share, but I would guess drywall comprises 99% of all residential building....the one thing missed above is the fire resistance. I try to keep up with new products, and like to build out of the traditional box, but we still drywall ICF and steel framed homes.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you are concentrating on the U.S. only, then drywall is the the most common. Nothing is cheaper than drywall for U.S. lightweight construction where fire resistance, sound control and durability are not valued. Plaster is not common because of a lack of skilled plaster tradeamen. - Any body can do drywall - it just takes some people longer to do a barely accepatable or passable job.

Light construction (wood/steel stud)is NOT the most common method of residential construction in the rest of the developed world. Concrete and masonry are the most common. In these areas, there is some sheetrock, but the majority of the walls are hard, durable materials, with plaster the most common. In some countries lightweight insulating plaster is used on the interior of the exterior walls and all interior walls are normal plaster.

In most colder climates, the beneficial effects of mass in thermal conservation are well understood and used extensively. The misleading pink panther advertising has not made much of an effect. They generally realize that even in the world of idealized laboratory testing for advertising purposes R19 insulation in a lightweight wall at best yeilds a R11 to R15, which does not perform as well as a lower R-value in a heavy wall. There is also a difference in foreign construction where the expeceted occupancy term and structure life is much longer. Where people are accustomed to heavy, solid construction, lightweight construction is not an accepatable substitute.

There is a relationship between the use of drywall in the U.S. and the use/advertising of fiberglass.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #8

Check out this product, seems to be new to the market.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4659
rolldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #9

A friend put up some type of fiberglass faced board and his opinion of it was pretty low. It was not smooth, which is one of the advantages of plaster and that dry wall emulates. And pretty much anything cut that contains fiberglass causes the Itch. I've investigated cement fiberboard for walls, for no particular reason, but what I've found is also not smooth.
mwpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldodge View Post
Check out this product, seems to be new to the market.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4659
Actually not new, just becoming more common in the past two years. We used Denshield for our bathroom. I can tell you this, it is a lot easier to work with and cut to fit around tubs.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #11

What kind of report? School, college, professional? These are things that should be stated before you recieve too many answers
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

This thread is over 3 years old, and the OP never came back!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #13

Oops on my part

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote