Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Altering existing door jamb

I'd like to change my 1950's balcony door so it opens inward so that I can install a flywire door opening outward. The issue is that the door jamb isn't currently deep enough on the inside to house the door.

You can see from the photos that I think I could remove the centre strip (if it's not moulded) on either side and replace with a shallower one, but what about the top and the cement step at the bottom? Would I also need to replace the top section? Can I cut the door so it sits on top of the cement step?

Any advice on the best way to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JakeS; 08-18-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: grammatical error
JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #2

Sorry I think I have posted in wrong forum section and can't seem to move it. maybe a friendly moderator will

Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #3

No problem Jake, I moved ya over here.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #4

The biggest hurdle I see is the cement threshold. If the door were situated on it instead of against it, rainwater could very likely enter the structure and/or deteriorate the jamb despite your best weatherstripping efforts.

The top of the jamb looks odd, but I don't think that it would be too tough to remove and replace if you're a decent carpenter. The jamb stops on the side should come out with careful work with a nail bar.

Based on the threshold configuration alone I think I'd advise against this.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

Thanks for moving the thread and your quick reply.

Yeah the cement threshold could be a pain. The top of the jamb sits on top of the sides and some quad, do you think it might be hard to remove without destroying other parts?

I should have mentioned though, that the balcony is covered above and only open on one long side, so only really severe storms causing sideways rain could blow in there. Plus, if I have a flywire/security door on the outside that closes against the cement threshold, it should also help keep rain out. What do you think?

I don't think the look of flywire inside is acceptable and having this door open gives excellent cross ventilation.

Tags
door jamb frame