AltanticWBConst.... Your Help Please - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Property Manager/Landlord

Rewards Points: 25

AltanticWBConst.... your help please

Some time back you gave me a pile of advice on drywall textures. I am ready to apply a texture with sand. I've been looking around for the white quartz silica sand, but have not been able to locate locally. I did find a medium grit sand packaged by Quikcrete at Lowes. It claims it is a consistant size.

Is there a certain brand I should ask for? Am I looking in the wrong places? We have a manly-man's builder's supply house in our town, but I doubt they would have a clue what I'm looking for. I get the idea that not many people use a sand texture anymore.

Thanks for the help!!

steve

Advertisement

AlbrightPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbrightPM View Post
Some time back you gave me a pile of advice on drywall textures. I am ready to apply a texture with sand. I've been looking around for the white quartz silica sand, but have not been able to locate locally. I did find a medium grit sand packaged by Quikcrete at Lowes. It claims it is a consistant size.

Is there a certain brand I should ask for? Am I looking in the wrong places? We have a manly-man's builder's supply house in our town, but I doubt they would have a clue what I'm looking for. I get the idea that not many people use a sand texture anymore.

Thanks for the help!!

steve
Steve,

Do you have any of these in your area:

1.) Drywall or plaster supply company (There are usually several in any givin area)

2.) A BUILDER'S SUPPLY company...

3.) A COMMERCIAL Building supply company?

Don't rely on getting info. from any of the BIG NAME Home companies...because, they honestly have 'no clue'.

If you ask around at other Builder supply companies, they...do know...

What you want is "Silica Sand for interior ceiling applications"....

If you get no where on this...let me know...

PM me from this site and I will be more than happy to do some research in your area to find where you can get this product.

Regards & -Good Luck-

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

You can also look for it at a masonry supply dealer. It is often used when laying glass block.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Property Manager/Landlord

Rewards Points: 25

No drywall suppliers in our town, but theres a few big suppliers in the next "big" city west of us. We do have a "builder's supply" house. We have a few "lumber yards" but I never dealt with them. I may pay a visit to the supply house sometime this week. That's my best bet.
AlbrightPM is offline   Reply With Quote