Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #1

Share |

All those nails and screws

Setting up my new workshop in a smaller space, trying to organize everything nice. Give me some ideas on how you organize all those nails and screws you have! You want them to be easy to see and get to, but all nice and separated (no three inch spikes in with the finish nails).

I have tried those little plastic cabinets, those are okay if you have a few of everything. Glass jars are okay but you can't see what's in the jar behind sometimes....

Have you built something yourself or reassigned a piece of furniture to better serve you? Or found THE thing at the big box stores?

Looking forward to some suggestions.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Screw jar lids to the underside of shelving.
Fill jars, screw into lids.
Put hammers, screwdrivers, nail sets, bits, etc, to install said fasteners, on said shelves.

Last edited by titanoman; 03-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

To be able to see the jars clearly, arrange them with the biggest jars on the back row, and the smallest on the front rows... stagger the jars, left and right, so that they are not directly in front of one another.

Be sure to allow plenty of space between the jars so you can get your hands in there to grip them and turn them.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
In a little over my head

I use these:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...ended_products
Color coded for screws/nails/fimish/electrical.
Stacked up in a 5 gallon bucket.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
Have you....found THE thing at the big box stores?
I have.

I think these Stanley organizers are really nice. The FatMax ones are even better.

Notice the indents in the cover around the corners of each bin. This allows you to remove any bin(s) and the rest of them won't slide around in the empty space when you're carrying the case. That feature is also nice because you can just take out the bin with the screws or nails (or whatever else) you need instead of bringing the whole case or taking what you need and putting the stuff in another smaller, more portable container.

Everything stays in place really well. I have taken this case and shaken the hell out of it, and even my tiny finish nails won't escape into other bins.

They're stackable, and available in different depths. This one here cost $12. Can't beat that.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
JOATMON

Yea...like Jay, I love those containers....HF makes a similar one....same dimensions....

I use them for all the small stuff....I have them organized by function...for example, one is for picture hanging....has small wall anchors, hooks, etc....even the right size drill...my wife loves it....she grabs it and takes it to the task.....has all the stuff she needs....

I made this to keep them stored...

For reqular nails and the like.....I have a few drawers that I just keep the original boxes in. Unless you step on the box...it works fine....and tells you what is inside.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

throw away half that you have
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
throw away half that you have
Murphy's Law says I will look at this stuff and say "I haven't used these in ten years! Toss 'em!", and the next week, I will be at the hardware store buying those things I tossed because NOW I need them! I've lived it, so I know!! If I can keep all I have, I almost always seem to find something (or someone like a neighbor) that can use them.
Jay 78 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #9

Dougy ...your kidding yourself

i too am a old screw, bent nail hoarder
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
Dougy ...your kidding yourself

i too am a old screw, bent nail hoarder
Lol! I use my bent nails to hang things from on the Sheetrock wall on one side of the workshop. Sad, but true.
Tom Struble (03-04-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
journeyman carpenter

the stanley kits work great, i have several of the like. (same design differnt brands).. which i keep in my truck to take on site. one geared up with various fasteners i need when hanging siding, another geared up for general carpentry, one for finish carpentry housing nails for my 18 guage 16 gauge and 23 gauge.. and another for punch list work at the end of finishing a house.. (hinge screws, wall anchors, mounting shelving and cabinets)

the best set up is the Thanos Systainer,, though much more expensive its the only one that has a lifetime warrenty, if it breaks they replace it free
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

In general, usage determines storage.

Hardware stores will give you their tiny cardboard fastener boxes for the asking when restocking their shelves. Fastener suppliers are Servistar and Hillman. The most common size I worked with with Hillman was about 1" x 1" x 2".

Or build your own out of cereal box corrugated cardboard, with each box size being twice the volume of the previous one. I made a wooden form to bend the cardboard to size. Coating them with polyurethane gives them strength and water resistance. Don't use shoebox cardboard.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #13

All those nails and screws-bins.jpg
I can post the schematics if need be.
MajorMedicalBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMedicalBoy View Post
Attachment 47528
I can post the schematics if need be.
I like this idea for my new shop, so yes, please post the schematics for this. I have some of the containers with the little compartments in the truck, too. One has the nails etc I need for siding repairs and other odd carpentry type jobs, the other has a variety of screws, nuts and bolts and blind rivets; one even has all the little rivets etc I need to make running repairs to my (and everyone else's) Roman armour when I am at reenactment events.
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
I have.

I think these Stanley organizers are really nice. The FatMax ones are even better.

Notice the indents in the cover around the corners of each bin. This allows you to remove any bin(s) and the rest of them won't slide around in the empty space when you're carrying the case. That feature is also nice because you can just take out the bin with the screws or nails (or whatever else) you need instead of bringing the whole case or taking what you need and putting the stuff in another smaller, more portable container.

Everything stays in place really well. I have taken this case and shaken the hell out of it, and even my tiny finish nails won't escape into other bins.

They're stackable, and available in different depths. This one here cost $12. Can't beat that.
\

Now I need to go buy a few more of these, I have several of them now that I keep my router bits, bearings and router things in.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote